Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Construction
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sail Track & Slide System

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tsuzyque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sail Track & Slide System
    Posted: 28 August 2008 at 4:33pm
Has anyone made a Sailrite kit sail, and attached a slide system similar to that sold as the "Strong Sail Track and Slide System" by Tides Marine?

Our mainsail ripped out on our last trip down the Sea of Cortez, and the plan is to either make or buy a new sail, utilizing this type of slide system.  If we were to convert an existing sail, the Strong instructions refer to removing the existing slugs or slides, and replacing them with the Strong slides.  Part of the hardware you need to purchase for the Strong system includes regular slides, and either "leach-adjustable" or "plain" batten receptacles.

If I'm making the sail to begin with, how would I prepare the luff to installing these third party slides?  Are the battens on a Sailrite sail "leach-adjustable"?

I'm just beginning to understand what ANY of this means, so any enlightenment would be appreciated.
Sue
S/V Toucan
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2008 at 7:47pm
Hi,
I hope someone answers about the Strong system. It has been around for a long time and I have never heard anything bad.

Sailrite can make a finished sail or a kit sail for this system without any trouble. We do batten pockets and tensioning in a number of ways all of which are impacted by the luff slide system.

Thanks, Matt

Call Jeff Frank at Sailrite when you are ready to discuss the particular features of a sail with a Strong system --- 800-348-2769

donal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2008 at 8:05pm
We recently had a sail recut and also adapted for the Strong track. Used 1/2 inch tubular web wrapped three times and hand stitched with heavy waxed thread through the middle between the sail and slide. Works just wonderfully. Let loose the halyard and run for cover.

donal
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic