Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedSail Sewing Machine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salingwife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sail Sewing Machine
    Posted: 30 November 2015 at 9:17pm
My husband and I just bought a 30' Morgan, the sails need a bit of work around the edges. I also plan on reupholstering the inside cushions.   I have done a good bit of sewing, but the machine I have now will not work on canvas or sails. Does anyone have a recommendation of a good machine that is not going to break the bank? 
Anna B
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 7:36am
Your intended use is exactly what the Ultrafeed LSZ-1 sewing machine was created for. I know of no better machine that has the versatility to sew both canvas and sails. The Ultrafeed is also the most competitively priced machine in its class (models start at $699). There are some look-a-like machines in the market but none are of such high quality, nor do they come with Sailrite support.

The other option would be to look for a steal on an older machine like the Sailrite Sailmaker, the Reeds Sailmaker, the Phaff 138, the Phaff 130 (rebuilt with larger motor), or Singer 20U. I have seen some of these sell for $200. Your issue will be that you need a zigzag machine that also does a nice straight stitch. This type of machine is harder to come by than a straight stitch only machine. Knowing what I know about the market and the machines, I still buy the Ultrafeed LSZ-1 myself. Hope this helps!
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
PeteinMich View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeteinMich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 8:10am
Totally agree with Matt. I have the LSZ-1 and love it.
It has handled everything I've thrown at it. Sail repair, 3 complete upholstery jobs, 4 boat covers, guitar bag, leather gun holster and binding on a very thick Berber carpet. Not to mention a ton of repair work for friends.
Resale value is also great. I had my original LSZ-1 for about 5 years and wanted to upgrade to the latest model, I was able to sell it $450. Waited for a free shipping sale and only had to come up with $250 for a brand new machine.
Plus tech support is top notch.
You won't be sorry with this machine or company.
Pete
Tejas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 9:11am
Originally posted by MattGrant MattGrant wrote:

The other option would be to look for a steal on an older machine like the ... the Phaff 130 (rebuilt with larger motor)

The Phaff 130 seems to have a good reputation among DIY marine canvas sewers. I started with a Phaff 130 but didn't keep it for very long. It would sew whatever I cloud get under the foot, but that did not seem sufficient for many projects.
Beneteau First 36.7

Juki LU-1508N
Bernina 217N with CAM Reader
Singer 99 with hand crank
wsmurdoch View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsmurdoch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2015 at 12:14pm
Let me put in a plug for one of Sailrite's older machines, the Sailrite Sailmaker.  I wrote this about it a couple of years ago.

"I have a Sailrite Sailmaker (Sailrite's editon of the Brother TZ1-B652) in an industrial base that I picked up on ebay years ago.  It is a great machine.  The ability to make a 12mm wide zig zag stitch makes sail repairs look like the original stitching.  It will sew through anything that will fit under the presser foot, and the wide feed dog pulls like a champ.  Although it doesn't like it, it will force a 140/22 needle and T-135 thread through 5/16" of canvas.  Change to the 5 mm zig zag needle plate or the straight stitch needle plate and it will sew the thinest nylon with a 70/10 needle.  But, the best part of the machine is the support from Sailrite.  I can not imagine supporting a machine sold to someone else 20+ years ago, but Sailrite does it."

I bought a case for the machine from Sailrite and put a Dayton gearmotor in it to use as a portable machine.  There are some pictures and a description here  http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/groups/sewing+group.+boat+canvas+projects-d858-taming+a+sailrite+sailmaker+industrial+sewing+machine.html

At home I use the machine in its industrial stand.  At the marina I use it in its carrying case. 

Last week I broke a thread guide trying (eventually successfully) to sew through some very heavy nylon straps.  The guide is the one just below the needle clamp, and I was jamming it into the presser foot with every stitch.  Anyway, the tiny part broke.  I ordered another, and a spare, from Sailrite and had them in three days.  Not bad for a minor part for a machine Sailrite has not sold in years.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2015 at 10:07am
Thank you so much for the very kind words! Matt Grant
Sailrite
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Tejas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2015 at 12:02pm
Emiliano Marino, author of The Sailmaker's Apprentice shares wsmurdoch's enthusiasm for the Brother TZ1-B652, on page 198 stating in part "I can personally vouch for the Brother's ability to sew 12 layers of 9-ounce Dacron with v138 thread!"
Beneteau First 36.7

Juki LU-1508N
Bernina 217N with CAM Reader
Singer 99 with hand crank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic