Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Lockedsail cover/lazy jacks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2006 at 1:49pm
Well, I guess it is bad form to reply to one's own post but there have been new developments, so I feel it is warranted in this case.

The new development is that I found a gently used stackpack at Bacon's Sail in Annapolis... This is the real thing, made by Doyle, and it was offered at a very attractive price (I figure close to the material cost if I ordered the sunbrella, zipper etc). The Bacon people suggested that I take it to Doyle's (just down the street) and have them adapt it to my boat. Did that and ended up paying the Doyle loft more for fitting it to my boat than what I paid for the stackpack itself but I feel I was still getting a great deal.

I should mention that while they were at it, Doyle also did some smallish repairs on my mainsail and, more importantly, converted it into loose-footed which they prefer for the stackpack since this way they could just saw a boltrope to its bottom to install on the boom. They also shortened the leech, on my request, since the sail came dangerously low over the cockpit (the PO was more of a racer than I am, apparently, and I prefer the safety of a high main, which will NOT take off the head of a careless crew member, over the fraction of a fraction of a knot in boat speed).

Anyway, the long and the short of it is that I now have a beautiful new (old) stackpack. My part in the construction was thus limited to designing and building the lazyjacks which was no big deal. Oh yes, and I had to provide battens since the pack came without. I used 1/2" PVC pipes from Home Depot (with couplings since they come in a max. length of 10') with covers at both ends, and rigging tape over the coupling and the covers in order to avoid chafe. Incidentally, I asked Doyle what they thought of the idea and they approved of it.

Anyway, I took the boat out a few times and it works WONDERFULLY, exactly as advertised. The only preparation for hoisting the sail is now transferring the halyard to the head of the sail and to open the zipper. Dousing is the opposite. The sail falls nicely between the lazyjacks (not as neatly flaked as I have seen in a Dutchman system but who cares, once I close the zipper nobody sees it anyways).

Overall, I am very happy with this solution. Sorry, Sailrite, that I cannot provide more experience with the construction.

--Ernst
paulnsue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulnsue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2006 at 9:21pm
Any way we can see some pictures of how this turned out? 
Sue Means
Aberdeen, WA
Ernst View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2006 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by paulnsue paulnsue wrote:

Any way we can see some pictures of how this turned out? 

Not sure how to get pics here (my connectivity is a bit old fashioned). But is is really just a standard Doyle stackpack which you should be able to see an example of in pretty much any marina. If there is a charter fleet nearby, I think many boats have them, except if they have in-mast furling.

--Ernst
Alison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2007 at 8:30pm
What's the difference between a stackpack and a cradle cover? Look the same to me. Hope to start sewing next week. Thanks, Alison
Alison
S/V Andante
Kaiser Gale Force 34'
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2007 at 11:10pm
They are very similar - just different name from separate sailmakers.
Alison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2007 at 7:10am
Ernst are you in Annapolis? Any chance I could take a look at your stackpack? Thanks, Alison
Alison
S/V Andante
Kaiser Gale Force 34'
Captain Grumpy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Grumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2007 at 11:30am
I would really like to see the Beta version of the stack pack sail cover instructions, but your instructions on the Sailrite home page did not give that option.  Can you help?
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2007 at 11:56am
Go to the home page www.sailrite.com and click on "Instructions and Tips". Look for Stackpack in the list. This is the article you are looking for. Thanks, Matt with Sailrite
Captain Grumpy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Grumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2007 at 3:33pm
OK, I guess that I was'nt being clear;
I really need to see drawings and/or photo's of Sailrites stack-pack type of sail cover.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2007 at 8:45am
Sorry, we have not done these drawings. These are likely on the back burner as videos are our current concentration. Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic