Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Lockedsail cover fabric

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooniris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sail cover fabric
    Posted: 28 August 2006 at 11:09pm
I was wondering what fabrics are acceptable for sail covers.  I am confused by the different types of Sunbrela and /or Aqualon. For instance is "Furiture" fabric O.K. to use.  Is Aqualon 9 oz better?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2006 at 8:31am
For a sailcover you want a fabric which is very water resistant but at the same time breathes very well. The best material for this project is Sunbrella. I certainly recommend the marine grade as it is much more water resistant and durable than the furniture fabric variety. The softness of furniture fabric is not at all useful for a sailcover. The Aqualon is waterproof and will not breath so I do not recommend it for this application. Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

mooniris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooniris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2006 at 11:02am
Smile Thank you Matt! Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic