Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Lockedroller furling stitching

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: roller furling stitching
    Posted: 20 February 2007 at 1:36pm
Just got a new to us roller fulring jib.  The threads along the sunbrella UV cover are coming out and it needs to be re-stitched.  Doesn't  look like the first time this has been done t this sail.  They didn't take out the earlier stitches.  Should I pull them out or stitch over them?  The neatnick in me says pull them out but. . . Thanks, Alison
Alison
S/V Andante
Kaiser Gale Force 34'
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2007 at 4:46pm
It sure would be alot neater to remove the old threads. That said, most sailmakers don't because it is very time consuming. Either way you will achieve the same strength just by resewing. This one is preference and asthetics! Thanks, Matt
Alison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2007 at 9:31am
Thanks Matt.  Now I just have to figure out how to get all that cloth under the arm . . . I know bundle it tight!  Best, Alison
Alison
S/V Andante
Kaiser Gale Force 34'
rcknight View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2007 at 8:45am

I handle those restitching jobs by folding the sail vertically, from top to bottom but leave the luff edge sticking out to one side.   I then roll the sail up, from top to bottom.  This way I can unroll a few feet and pass the luff through the machine.  After I'm done restitching that portion, I unroll a few more feet and then roll up the portion that I have just sewn.  I work on a large sewing table, but there is never enough room for a large sail.  Thanks, Robert

Robert

"Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" John Wayne
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic