Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedRoller Furled Drifter Repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roller Furled Drifter Repair
    Posted: 30 July 2014 at 3:05pm
Recently some friends came back from a sail with a blown-out genoa, and have asked me to attempt a repair. The boat is a 27' C&C with a roller furler.  The damage is a horizontal tear that started in the center of a panel and tore out to the seam an either side.  The sail is made out of a rip-stop nylon, not Dacron.  

My questions (so far!) are
a) What weight fabric is typical for a sail of this size?
b) Is the best fix for this a patch, or is it better to replace the entire panel?

Thanks for any input.
-Sue

Edited by Sue2 - 01 August 2014 at 9:09am
Jeff Frank View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2014 at 3:35pm
I would use a 5oz Dacron tape of an appropriate width to make sure you can sew into intact fabric on either side of the tear, typically part #22108o or #22109 will work well. Cut the tape to length, seam to seam, overlap the seam with the tape then sew around it with two rows of zig-zag stitches. Flip the sail over and cut out the material about 1/16 to 1/8 inside your stitches and up to the seam on either end.
Use v-69 thread 20203 and seamstick 20306.
Best Regards,
Jeff Frank
Sue2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 10:15am
Thanks, Jeff!  I think I may have some of that tape on hand, although probably not enough.  Is that a better choice than matching the rip-stop nylon fabric?  I misspoke in my first post - this sail is a light air Genniker or Drifter.  The material is definitely Nylon, but I'm not sure of the weight.

-Sue

Edited by Sue2 - 31 July 2014 at 7:41pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic