Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reusing foam with new Uphostery in V-berth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dleedvm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reusing foam with new Uphostery in V-berth
    Posted: 02 March 2016 at 2:47pm
The original fabric on my Sabre 28's V-berth cushions was a 1970's vintage, almost carpet-like material with a rough surface. I remember seeing similar fabric on sofa's back in the day. I removed the fabric and decided to reuse the foam, after steaming it. I used the foam as a template (since I didn't have access to the boat in the winter), and didn't add any additional margin when I cut out the Sunbrella, thinking that was the right thing to do to keep it wrinkle-free. They came out great but when I put them back in the boat, I found that they fell short a couple of inches on the sides. It appears that the original fabric didn't require compressing the foam at all, since it was too think to actually wrinkly. It has a thick backing like carpeting. 

I will probably redo the covers on the V-berth as a result and would still prefer to use the old foam. Should I add some batting along the edges to provide the tension for the Sunbrella? Any other suggestions? Thanks
David
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2016 at 2:51pm
Hi David,

That would make sense. Yes I think adding a batting to the edges will solve the issue. Good idea.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic