Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Construction
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedResize luff on foresail?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgh1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Resize luff on foresail?
    Posted: 09 July 2014 at 6:14pm
Hi there,
what is the best way to resize/shortening the luff length on a foresail?
1) Just cut the foot till you get the desired luff length
2) Cut off like an upside down triangle on the luff, like the way you do in the instruction film of luff conversion. What is the point by cut off a trangle?
3) Just cut off the desired even area on the whole luff?
4) Or like 2 or 3 but on the leech?

Appreciate an explanation too :-)

Thanks
Per
Jeff Frank View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2014 at 9:26am
Most of the shape in a sail is developed in the lower third, to keep a similar shape cut off an upside down triangle #2, this will also slightly raise the clew. the added benefit of this is that you only have to rebuild the head corner patches etc.
If you follow option 1 in your list you will make the sail flatter overall and have to reconstruct the tack and clew corners of the sail.
3 is a good option but you will loose more sail than 2 and have again two corners to rebuild.
pgh1973 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgh1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2014 at 1:13pm
If you only have to shorten the luff for 3-4 inches. What´s the best way of doing that, is it by doing it with the upside triangle or what? If I just cut the top of the luff I´m afraid that the broder top corner will touch the mast. I hope you understand :-)

Regards

Pär

MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2014 at 8:13am

I think the first question should be if the luff edge needs to be rebuilt. In other words, do you need to install a new luff tape and cut of hanks. If so, I would do as Jeff suggested. Otherwise it would be far easier to either recut the leech or the foot to shorten the sail.

I don't like the idea of truncating the head if the new corner will be any wider than about 3". At 3" it will support fine but beyond that you risk having trouble supporting the sail's leech edge.

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
pgh1973 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgh1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2014 at 2:27pm
Thanks for the reply. The sail has luff tape so I just have to shorten it. So, eather truncating the foot edge or the leech at the top?!

Regards
Pär
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2014 at 2:37pm
Yes, do it in the easiest way possible. I would guess the foot, tack corner, would be the place to modify.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Tejas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2014 at 4:11pm
Posting an image of the foot and tack might be be helpful.

The tack of a jib is often greatly reinforced and removing 3 - 4" from the foot and rebuilding the tack could be a real hassle. I know because we had to rebuild the head of our jib after the webbing failed. Here is an image of the lower portion of our jib; The tack is to the lower right. Were I to have the same situation, I think I would be tempted to remove 3 - 4" above the lower seam of second panel up from the foot, perhaps a long, thin triangle to avoid cutting into the leech.

Edited by Tejas - 10 November 2014 at 4:41pm
Beneteau First 36.7

Juki LU-1508N
Bernina 217N with CAM Reader
Singer 99 with hand crank
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2014 at 5:41pm
Yes, much easier, but the sailmaker in me is worried that this could cause shape issues. The luff edge would certainly be impacted. I guess you could fill in the void with material before reapplying the luff tape. If you do it this way make sure it is a wedge you remove and not a broadening seam.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Tejas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2014 at 6:18am
I'm guessing that the impact on shape might be dependent on the dimensions of the sail -- the longer the foot, the less the impact.

If rebuilding a corner is necessary, then depending upon the construction of the head reconsideration of shorting the head might be productive. The reason rebuilding the head of our jib was necessary was UV damage because the head and webbing loop was not protectted by our jib cover. Here is a picture of the head after the loop had been removed.

Actually, we also wanted to shorten the luff, so we replaced the webbing loop with a D-Ring with bar, with the bar and base of the D-Ring pointing up. We trimmed 2 - 3" off the head and secured the D-Ring with three strips of webbing, one strip inboard of the luff, one inboard of the leach and one in-between. This plus eliminating the loop effectively removed about 3" of luff.
Beneteau First 36.7

Juki LU-1508N
Bernina 217N with CAM Reader
Singer 99 with hand crank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic