Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedRepair on leach edge of genoa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josephc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repair on leach edge of genoa
    Posted: 05 June 2018 at 8:05pm
I have a vertical rip the length of a panel on the leech edge. It is about a half inch inside of the hem. I do not have a leech line so thats a plus. I watched your videos but am unsure if the proximity to the edge changes the patching procedure. Also the hem edge is damaged from spreader chafe. I was thinking of removing the hem along the rip sewing a patch over the rip then resewing the hem and patching the hem with some new tape in the worn section then adding a spreader patch for good measure.

Is this the right way to do this? Also I am able to tear the sail cloth by hand but is rather difficult so I think the cloth isn't too bad.

Thanks

Edited by josephc - 05 June 2018 at 8:15pm
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 8:08am
Your approach is spot on! Some people put the spreader patch under the leech hem so it does not peel. But the spreader patch itself is not sewn down other than the hem area since it is usually made of Insignia Dacron with adhesive backing.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
josephc View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josephc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 7:16pm
I have some left over dacron from my mainsail kit I got from you guys so if it is OK I will use that and sew it down. Would it be bad to make the patch one piece and fold it over the leech down the middle making it equal sized on both sides of the sail?
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 8:31pm
That is a great way to do it.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic