Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Lockedremove spur grommet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: remove spur grommet
    Posted: 02 March 2007 at 8:45am
I'm repairing the luff tape on our new to us jib.  It runs under a spur grommet at the head of the sail.  Seems like I need to remove that spur grommet, do the repair, and then put a new one in.  Thinking about going to a loft and see if they'll quickly :) put in a new one but how do I get the old one off so I can do the repair?   I've tried prying up the stainless inner spur but would love to know if there's a hint here.  Thanks and thanks Dan for taking care of me yesterday!  Alison
Alison
S/V Andante
Kaiser Gale Force 34'
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2007 at 1:06pm
Hi Alison;

You might also try grinding the lip of the grommet away with a Dremel tool.  It is fast, and the neighbors will not be nearly as upset with this method as opposed to the use of nuclear weapons.

Best,
Dan
Alison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2007 at 4:11pm
HI Dan:

I took your in store suggestion and hand sewed around it.  We'll see how long it lasts.

Best,
Alison
Alison
S/V Andante
Kaiser Gale Force 34'
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic