Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Lockedreefing line slot in mainsail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carib2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: reefing line slot in mainsail
    Posted: 09 November 2008 at 1:50pm
Hi, I have been asked to put a slot in a mainsail (with a bolt rope) to run the reefing line around the boom. I have always had slugs on my mainsails so am not really familiar with this , altho I understand how it will work.
If I could see a picture it would make it so much easier.

1. How far from the bolt rope should the slot be?

2. How wide should the slot be? Or should I say how much material would I cut out of the sail to accomodate the line.... is it just an opening or do I have to remove material from the sail?

3. What is the usual for reinforcing the edges of the slot?

4. Do I need to add any chafe protection anywhere?

Thanks for all the great info on this forum , have learned alot from it !!

karin
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 8:32am
You got me on this one. I think all you need is a grommet (more precisely said - a ring and eyelet within a patch assembly) in the sail behind the boltrope. Is this what you are looking for?

I would not be normal to create a fabric slit and reinforce the edges of the opening. It just would not be strong enough to hold a reef in.

Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

carib2008 View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carib2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2008 at 11:12am
Matt , I guess my description of the task was not very accurate.

He wants to tie the end of his reefing line to the boom (rather than to a  padeye on the boom) to secure the end of reefing line.  The reefing line will come from the reef point down to the boom and then go thru the slot so that it can be tied to the boom. My previous boat had a pad eye on the boom that did the same thing..but apparently this fellow wants to tie his reefing line to the boom.....stronger I guess. On mainsails with slugs the line can be tied thru spaces between the slugs.

Am I making more sense now?

Thanks again for this forum.

karin
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2008 at 8:31pm
Hi Karin,
Now it makes sense. Just cut a slit in the boltrope tape about 1" inside the inner edge of the rope. Use a hotknife to cut the slit about 3" long. Then zigzag around the perimeter of the slit. The slit will be in at least three layers of material this way. I personally don't like this idea but it will work.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

carib2008 View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carib2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2008 at 7:06pm

Not what I would want either but that is what the customer wants.

Thanks again.

karin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic