Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedRail guard using trampoline mesh

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarolynC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rail guard using trampoline mesh
    Posted: 15 January 2013 at 4:46pm
I plan to add barriers to the lower half of the rails on our trawler boat deck.  My only purpose is to prevent our 30 lb. dog from accidentally slipping overboard.  There is no lower rail to attach the barrier to, so it will need to be stretched tight between upright support rails, where possible.  The outer corners of the rail are curved with no upright support in the center.  I want the barriers to be easily removed for cleaning and while we're not using the boat.

I have looked at various types of mesh, from the open safety netting common on sailboats to the almost opaque mesh used for window covers.  I recently ordered samples of your trampoline mesh and really like the Heavy Duty 24 oz mesh (#100299).  It seems like it would hold it's shape around outer corners, where I have no place to attach to a rail, while allowing some visibility.  I could add snaps, but would prefer to stop the mesh an inch or two above the boat deck, which would not facilitate adding snaps.

I will be using my LSZ-1 and will use your 2" binding along edges.  The barrier will be attached using velcro straps at intervals along upright and horizontal rails.

I appreciate any comments or suggestions you can offer to my approach.  Also, if I use the 24 oz. mesh, what is the best method for sewing seams?  Would you recommend the Sunbrella or Stamoid 2" binding?

Thanks!
Carolyn

MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2013 at 8:07am
Great project! The tramp mesh you are considering would work great as it does have some stiffness. Just as a side note this stuff is frequently used as a non-permanent fencing material on farms. Seams should be of a simple overlap contruction about 1.5" wide. For the edging I would use the Stamoid since the mesh itself is vinyl covered (but this is really just individual preference).
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
CarolynC View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarolynC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2013 at 11:46am
Thanks for the info!  Could you comment on which binding (Sunbrella or Stamoid) would be slower to mildew?  Our windy humid conditions are always a challenge.  Also, would you recommend a #20 needle and V92 thread for the 24 oz mesh?  Straight stitch or zig zag for the seams?
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2013 at 2:21pm
Both facings are excellent when it comes to keeping mildew from growing. #20 with V-92 thread is good. I would straight stitch this product.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic