Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Home Sewing Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedQuestions about OLD machine to take on boat...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magentawave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions about OLD machine to take on boat...
    Posted: 08 May 2018 at 3:06pm

I want to take a good sewing machine with me when I go cruising so I can do my own repairs and make a little money doing sail repairs and canvas work for others. Cost matters which is why I’m considering an early 60's Singer (or older) instead of a new Sailrite.

1) Is it true that a machine that can do sail repair and canvas work - and light enough to take on a cruising sailboat (a multihull) should have the following?

-All metal parts

-DC motor

-Enough power to sew through 6 layers of Sunbrella.

-Have reverse

-Do zig zag

2) If you could choose one OLDER machine that could do everything you need for sail repair and canvas work while cruising, which would it be? Singer 600 maybe?

Anything else to consider? I’m open to suggestions, please. :-)

Thanks!

Edited by magentawave - 08 May 2018 at 7:16pm
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 3:46pm
Answers:
#1 - all correct. Motor can be an AC/DC Universal motor.

#2 - Phaff 130, Reeds Sailmaker, Older Ultrafeed LSZ-1 (best option)

Of course the very best option is a new Ultrafeed but it does come at a cost.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
magentawave View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magentawave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 7:15pm
Thanks, Matt. I've been reading up on your LSV-1 this afternoon and it looks reeaaally nice! Wish I could afford it. How does the Sailrite SR-200 compare with the LSV-1?

P.S. My father, Peter Hobbs, used to make battens for you guys way back in the day. He passed away in 1989. His company was Battens of the Pacific and the battens your dad bought from him were called WhiteFlo. They used to talk on the phone a little and my dad liked your dad a lot. Please pass that on to him. Smile
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 7:48am
If you can find a used SR200 or even a Sailmaker or Long Arm at a good price those are certainly excellent options too. I did not mention them since they most likely will be close to the price of a new LSZ-1. These machines are much bigger than the LSZ-1 but they do not have walking feet, like the LSZ-1. A Singer 20 U would also fall in this category (generally referred to as 3/4 arm Industrial sewing machines).

I will tell my father the next time I see him. I vaguely remember those battens. Small world.

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
artisan View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 12:00pm
I think that old machines are often more reliable than new ones. My most beloved machines are old machines that will never be made again.
magentawave View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magentawave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 8:00pm
How does the Sailrite Yachtsman (with zig zag) compare to the latest LSZ-1?
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2018 at 8:43am
The old Yachtsman machine is what ultimately made the Ultrafeed possible. It took us several years of use and experience with the Yachtsman to develop the knowledge for what changes/additions should be done to create a much better product. Years latter we have the Version 3 Ultrafeed LSZ-1 which is vastly better than the original Yachtsman sewing machine. It is so much better that it is hard to even compare the models. But here is a general listing:

Twice the sewing thickness capability

Almost double the power

2mm longer stitch length

Walking foot design which means superior feeding power!

Better controls for levers and such

Reinforced internal parts

Grounded wiring for safety - better wiring in general

Superior bed and arm casting

New Posi-Pin clutch system

New PowerPlus balance wheel

A whole bunch of patented features

New EZ-set Stitch Length plate

New idler pulley design with 2 belt drive

And a ton of other things.

Knowing both the Yachtsman and the Ultrafeed I would recommend any version of the Ultrafeed as a superior machine. But the newer Version 3 models are the best Sailrite has ever produced.

Best Regards, Matt Grant
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic