Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedQuestion on darts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question on darts
    Posted: 15 November 2007 at 7:08pm
Hi, I'm real noob at this and am trying to build a console cover for my helm on the tower and trying to fit this so it looks good is giving me fits.  I drape the canvas over the wheel and pin the darts so it fits reasonably well but when sewing the darts they aren't laying flat at the peak which is close to the wheel rim so ends really 'scollopy' around the wheel rim.  I've tried pulling the material out and pinning and trying to transcribe the line on the back of the fabric at home but that doesn't work too good (it's asymetric so doing it upside down wouldn't work so I'm working folds under and pinning as finished work would look which works OK just havin trouble where the dart dies.  Is there some sort of technique or standard length to stop a dart from where you want it to lay flat?  Or even better a video that shows one how to measure and build a fitted console cover for soemthing with fairly complex darts say a flying bridge with controls and electronics to deal with?  Thanks, Alan. 
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2007 at 12:51pm
Hi Alan:

I think that the problem you are encountering is caused by the fabric "bunching up" at the end of your dart.  Anywhere else, the two layers of fabric can usually be persuaded to lay flat.  I'm not aware of any elegant solution to this problem, but I have been able to improve the lay of the dart by using a cold iron.  Alternatively, you could do a bar tack at the end of your dart seam.  This is accomplished by putting your machine in full zig-zag and putting your stitch length at or near zero.

I hope that this helps.

Best Regards,
Dan Smith
Annapolis Store Manager
Alano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2007 at 1:04pm
Thanks Dan, I'll give the cold iron a shot.  Alan.
feistycherub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feistycherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2007 at 4:44pm
this has worked for me: when you get close to 'where the dart dies', change your angle so that you are sewing very close to parallel to the edge. Catch just a smidge of fabric in your final bits of fold - as much as 2-3 inches length at the end of the dart can help if you have the room.

Dan's bar tack has also helped!
~wendy

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic