Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedPros and Cons of various bindings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris-R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pros and Cons of various bindings
    Posted: 13 August 2014 at 8:52am
I have been thinking about making a snap on cover for my boat.  I have a good industrial machine that I want to purchase a  binder for. (Nakajima 280L).  I plan on having a custom binder made for my machine but I don't know which binding to plan on using.  I understand that the binders are specially made for the type of fabrics and bindings that you are using.  These custom binders are very pricey and I don't want to regret my choice.  Should I go with the straight cut or bias cut binding?   (Sunbrella Acrylic Binding).  What are the pros and cons of each one?  I do like the idea of the 1" binding as opposed to the 3/4" because more of the edge of the fabric would be enclosed.  Which binding  is most commonly used by the professionals?  Thank you for any advice.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 9:45am
I agree with your preference for 1" binding. It does cover more of the edge but keep in mind that the wider the binding, the harder it is to turn tight corners. Both straight and bias binding are frequently used. A good binder should work with both. Keep in mind that with bias cut binding you will see sewn seams every siz to eight feet or so.
Have you looked at the Sailrite swing binders? They are made in Japan and are significantly less expensive than having a customer one made.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Chris-R View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris-R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 2:07pm
I have considered the sailrite binders but was concerned about the compound feed on my machine and getting the stitches on the binding as it comes out of the binder.  after talking with several companies that make the binders, I understood that I needed ground down presser feet and special feed dogs to get my work closer to the needle.  I have never used a binding attachment so I sure have a lot to learn.  
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 2:13pm
Compound feed would not cause any issues. We use our binders on the Sailrite 111 all the time. You are correct that custom made binders will work better but at roughly 5 times the cost I am not sure the difference in performance is justified.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 4:59pm
The Sailrite 1" Swing Away Binder was an essential tool when I constructed my custom enclosure for my boat.

It worked great w/ all the normal bend radii for this project.

Edited by wingless - 10 January 2018 at 12:28pm
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
Chris-R View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris-R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2014 at 12:10am
Did you use the straight cut binding or the bias binding?
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2014 at 4:44pm
The Sunbrella Captain Navy 1" Binding and the Sunbrella Linen 1" Binding are both bias cut. That might be the only option offered for this material.

The binding color was selected to be Captain Navy, if any part of the binding was visible from the exterior and was selected to be linen, only if no part of that binding was visible to the exterior.
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic