Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Sailrite Sewing Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Profilen skipped stitches with LSZ-1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Profilen skipped stitches with LSZ-1
    Posted: 09 June 2017 at 12:12pm
I have a fairly new LSZ-1.  I've run less than two 4 oz cones of V-92 thread through it on my projects in total so far.

Now I am trying to make a new sail cover and some winch covers with Sunbrella and Profilen thread, using the recommended size 16 needle.

I am getting three to six skipped stitches per each ~16 inches of stitches with the Profilen.

I've started down the skipped stitches troubleshooting rabbit hole but am looking for any more focused tips or things to look at to get this problem solved.  I chose the Profilen thread because it is supposed to be easier to work with than Tenara and wasn't bargaining on it being such a struggle.

Things I've tried:
  1. Rethreading
  2. Changing the needle, triple checking needle installation
  3. Rotating the needle to the 10 o'clock position
  4. Using all three holes of the thread hole guide
  5. Increasing presser foot pressure
  6. Switching back to V92 thread, getting flawless stitches, and switching back to Profilen for the same skipped stitches

Planned next steps:
  1. Inspect gib hook and retaining clip for strikes/burrs (doubtful...I haven't had any needle strikes that I'm aware of, and V-92 sews flawlessly)
  2. Lowering the needle
  3. Constructing the horizontal PVC thread holder

I tried a very makeshift horizontal spool holder with a thin wood dowel held by clamps, but it seemed to cause problems as the machine has to pull the thread hard enough to make the cone spin to release more thread, and this additional friction/tension was causing problems.

Any other tips or things I should try?

I am about an hour and many yards of test stitches into this and it is getting a little frustrating.

MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2017 at 1:44pm
We have been having excellent luck with Profilen so I am not happy to read this. Can you answer a few questions for me:

1. What material are you sewing (and layers)?
2. Are you sewing zigs or straights? Straight stitching is definitely recommended for canvas work with Profilen.
3. Have you tried a #14 needle?

Best Regards, Matt
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
patja View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2017 at 6:48pm
My project is with Sunbrella, but after discovering the skipped stitches I've just been using scraps of Surlast from a prior project for testing.

Just two layers, straight stitches.  I've shortened the stitch length a little which was a suggestion I saw on someone's blog post regarding skipped stitches.

I just tried a #14 needle and it skips too.  I tried it with the eye at the regular 9 o'clock position and at 10 o'clock.

-Pat
Tejas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2017 at 6:08pm
I don't know if this helps. I have only sewed Tenara because I bought two spools to be able to sew and wind bobbins at the same time, so I have a life-time supply of Tenara. PTFE thread is really slippery, so I'm guessing the problem might be that a loop is not being formed and the hook misses catching the thread. Since the machine I use is a rotary-hook machine, my experiences might be applicable to vibrating-hook machines.

Because PTFE thread is so slippery, I thread the needle thread to maximize friction in the thread path, through what I think Sailrite calls the ear holes, and loop the thread around all three holes.
Beneteau First 36.7

Juki LU-1508N
Bernina 217N with CAM Reader
Singer 99 with hand crank
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2017 at 12:24am
Please call on Monday to start a support case so we can provide further help. 800-348-2769 and ask to have the case assigned to Matt Grant.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
LauraM View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LauraM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2017 at 11:54am
This is the exact problem I am having this weekend. My brand new LSZ-1 was delivered on Friday. I'm working on a sunbrella and dacron sail cover using the Profilen thread. Skipping stitches randomly - maybe one every 30 inches or so when sewing a straight stitch in the forward direction. No problem in reverse. I've tried re-threading, adjusting the presser foot pressure, adjusting tension. No improvement.

Any advice based on your experience with this problem? In any event, it looks like I'll because I'll be calling Sailrite on Monday to start a support case with Matt.

Beneteau First 345
Sailrite LSZ-1
Pfaff 7570
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2017 at 8:30pm
Try a #16 needle please and make sure you are sewing straight stitches. I won't be in on Monday but Matt Borden will so please ask for him if the smaller needle does not correct this entirely.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
LauraM View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LauraM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 1:45pm
I will have to get a size 16 needle ... a bit difficult here on the island, as I'm trying to get to a good stopping place today.  In the meantime, I've been able to improve things a lot by using a trick from my regular sewing.  I wound the bobbin at about half speed, keeping the speed as steady as I could.  That seems to nearly eliminate the problem on a double layer of Sunbrella, with only one skipped stitch every couple of feet, though as I sew through more layers the skipping increases.  I can live with it for now, but I would like to get to the point that the stitching is perfect.  Thanks for the update.  
Beneteau First 345
Sailrite LSZ-1
Pfaff 7570
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 4:35pm
What needle are you currently using?
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
patja View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 5:44pm
After trying a few suggestions from Matt, I am getting good results with a size 20 needle, two wraps around the upper tension assembly, and using all three holes of the ear holes.  I haven't completed a full project yet though, just about 30" or so of test stitches.  I am still not at 100% skip-free stitching, but it is pretty close.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic