Print Page | Close Window

v-berth

Printed From: Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
Category: Canvas Work
Forum Name: Fabric Questions
Forum Discription: Questions about the use and types of fabrics
URL: http://forum.sailrite.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=671
Printed Date: 07 December 2022 at 6:37am

Topic: v-berth
Posted By: pam
Subject: v-berth
Date Posted: 09 March 2009 at 12:39pm
I was wondering if you could help me with a condensation problem in my v-berth. I've redone the cushions 3xs. Right now I have vinyl on the bottom of the cushion fabric (ticking) on top, but it still sweats on the bottom working up the sides. Sheets and blankets become wet. And it molds the foam.The UK uses some type of matt to raise the bed.

Replies:
Posted By: w1ndfall
Date Posted: 09 March 2009 at 12:50pm

About the only thing that I can think of is to put a layer of polyester batting (100158) between the cushion and the shelf.  Either leave it open or encase it in cushion underlining material.

Another idea would be to cut ventilation ports on the side of the platform that supports your mattress.  By equalizing the termperature between the inside of the compartment below your mattress and the rest of the cabin, you redce the opportunity for condensation to occur.

I hope that this helps.

Best regards,
Dan Smith
Annapolis Store Manager

Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 09 March 2009 at 2:45pm
The problem is the foam. It is not breathing. What you should do is change the foam out to Dry Fast (reticulated) foam. Or you could get that plastic mushroom matting from England. I can't remember what it is called either. Maybe someone else out there knows.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Print Page | Close Window