Print Page | Close Window

Sun room Fabrics

Printed From: Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
Category: Canvas Work
Forum Name: Fabric Questions
Forum Discription: Questions about the use and types of fabrics
URL: http://forum.sailrite.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=639
Printed Date: 04 December 2022 at 6:14pm

Topic: Sun room Fabrics
Posted By: Narie
Subject: Sun room Fabrics
Date Posted: 24 January 2009 at 4:57pm
  I am considering recovering both a sofa and wing chair for use in a sun room with either   Sunbrella 54" canvas fabric or / Naugahyde soft.  Durability, cleanability, fade resistance  and comfort are all factors which must be considered.  I currently have a chair covered in Sunbrella fabric- Spring Canvas- in that room which has held up well as far as color, but is more problematic when attacked by large muddy paws.  Would the Naugahyde with stand sun fade and puncture by standard poodle toe nails and still be comfortable for indoor lounging by humans.
 Any advice would be greatly apprciated.

Thank you!

Replies:
Posted By: w1ndfall
Date Posted: 24 January 2009 at 5:23pm
Naugahyde will definitely be easier to keep clean, but any damage by doggy claws will be much more severe and evident (and permanent!).  The best solution might be to stay with the Sunbrella and keep after it with 303 Fabric Cleaner (30553).  Adding 303 Fabric Guard (481) will increase water repellance and make it harder for stains to set in.  The trade-off is that the fabric will feel a bit stiffer after using the Fabric Guard.

I hope that this helps,
Best regards,
Dan Smith
Annapolis Sailrite Store Manager

Posted By: Narie
Date Posted: 25 January 2009 at 5:24pm
Thank you for your prompt response.  While Sunbrella will be the choice for the sofa,   Nauga Soft may yet be the choice for the wing chair even with puncture possibility because of the ease in cleaning.   Is the Nauga Soft about as sun fade resistant as Sunbrella?

Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 25 January 2009 at 10:22pm
Yes, the Nauga Soft is very fade resistant.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Print Page | Close Window