Print Page | Close Window

Broken Upper Tension Core

Printed From: Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
Category: Sewing Machines
Forum Name: Sailrite Sewing Machines
Forum Discription: The use and maintenance of Sailrite Sewing Machines
URL: http://forum.sailrite.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3666
Printed Date: 08 December 2019 at 11:23pm

Topic: Broken Upper Tension Core
Posted By: OKCSailor
Subject: Broken Upper Tension Core
Date Posted: 22 January 2019 at 3:56pm
It appears as though my upper tension core may be broken on my LSZ-1. Spring doesn't stay in proper position. The spring has a tendency to ride up and seize onto the tension plate. Wondering how to extract the plastic core so that I can purchase and install a new one.  Just muscle it out with vice grips?   Thanks

-------------
Ultrafeed LSZ-1
Santana 2023C
Watkins 27

Replies:
Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 22 January 2019 at 3:58pm
Take the left end cover off and look to the left of the tension core. There is a set screw in the casting that holds the core in. Loosen the set screw and the core will slide right out to be replaced.

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Posted By: OKCSailor
Date Posted: 22 January 2019 at 4:27pm
Thanks.  Is the outer flange on that core to be flush with the machine?  I attempted to re-position core but the relationship of the spring to the threaded post seems way out of whack. Is there a schematic showing the details of the whole upper tension assembly?  The core may not be broken, just misaligned.
Thanks

-------------
Ultrafeed LSZ-1
Santana 2023C
Watkins 27

Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 22 January 2019 at 4:35pm
The flange is not always flush with the casting. What you want to do is to drop the presser foot of the machine and locate the paddle that engages the post coming out of the back of the tension core. Now push the core in and stop so the post is not engaging with the paddle. If you can push it in all the way without the two touching then do so. Otherwise make the gap about 1/16" between the pin and the paddle (when it is held all the way back).

The guidebook shows a full break-down of the tension assembly and describes its full assembly.

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Posted By: GlennC
Date Posted: 31 January 2019 at 1:17pm
If you go to the Sailrite website and search for Item # 8511 and click on upper tension assembly it will take you to the page for that part.  Then scroll down to "video" and the video will show you how to do everything your are asking about.  It will be for an LS-1 but still applies.  Hope this helps.

Print Page | Close Window