Print Page | Close Window

Outboard engine cover and lifting sling

Printed From: Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
Category: Canvas Work
Forum Name: Covers and Awnings
Forum Discription: Canvas covers of all varieties
URL: http://forum.sailrite.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3649
Printed Date: 18 January 2020 at 8:59pm

Topic: Outboard engine cover and lifting sling
Posted By: Jumaggafanny
Subject: Outboard engine cover and lifting sling
Date Posted: 31 October 2018 at 11:11am
I recently experienced a failed buckle on a commercially manufactured engine lifting sling. While not a disastrous outcome it could have been avoided by using a better buckle.
I intend to make a new sling for lifting the engine from dinghy to the stern rail. I believe I can make an engine cover to install w/engine on rail and sling in place using Velcro closure around nylon straps. Has anyone else made their own sling....and tried to incorporated an engine cover.
I intend to make something that shields U/V and water on top but is tapered and ventilated at bottom.
I will not use nylon buckles for sure and think Sailrite #103782 is the correct buckle for the sling.
Any help would be appreciated.

Replies:
Posted By: wingless
Date Posted: 02 November 2018 at 10:23am
Welcome to the forum.

The redesigned sling should never use a fastener like a buckle to support a load.

The design should use the structure to support the load and the fasteners to hold the structure together, not putting any load on the fastener.

-------------
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550

Date Posted: 30 January 2019 at 11:36am
Wingless, I can clearly see the wisdom in your statement but remain confused. I intend to use webbing but how to follow your advice is unclear...I am a bit foggy. My plan is to use webbing to encircle a lower portion of outboard engine an vertical straps to hold load. Can you draw me a sketch or explain it like I'm 5 yrs old?
This is for a great friend and I sure don't want to make his outboard engine an offering to Neptune.
Thanks for info!

Posted By: wingless
Date Posted: 01 February 2019 at 8:19am
Here is an image showing the vertical mass NOT being supported by a buckle.

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/swi-tec/product-22215-223450.html

-------------
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550

Date Posted: 11 February 2019 at 12:30pm
Wingless,
Thank you for the link/pix.
I was uncertain about this since the circumferential web at the lower is a closure. I see the vertical as one continuous.

Thank You for the info.

Print Page | Close Window