Print Page | Close Window

Heat sealable fabrics

Printed From: Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
Category: Canvas Work
Forum Name: Fabric Questions
Forum Discription: Questions about the use and types of fabrics
URL: http://forum.sailrite.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3638
Printed Date: 22 October 2018 at 8:36pm

Topic: Heat sealable fabrics
Posted By: Jknight611
Subject: Heat sealable fabrics
Date Posted: 30 September 2018 at 4:09pm
I have built a skin on frame kayak and now I want to make some floatation bags to put inside the front and back of the kayak. Does Sailrite have a light heat sealable airtight fabric that I can make these bags from. I thought I would sew the bags up with my LSZ1 then heat seal the seam. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jay

Replies:
Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 01 October 2018 at 8:57am
We have Shelter-Rite. It is not thin but it works really well for durable flotation bags. I would skip the sewing and use HH-66 Glue to bond the seams.  

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Date Posted: 01 October 2018 at 9:33am
Thanks Matt, I have some Shelter-Rite left over from another project. I think I will see if I can make a small bag to test it out.
Jay

Date Posted: 01 October 2018 at 9:45am
Good plan!

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Posted By: Sue2
Date Posted: 01 October 2018 at 11:10am
Where I used to work, we made those inflatable escape slides for aircraft. Seams on those were glued, and then stitched for added strength. That being said, I doubt flotation bags will see "explosive" inflation and people jumping on them!  Our company also did some heat sealing with Shelter-Rite, which works with the proper technique, but we never used that for air-tight seams.  

Summary of all that information you really didn't need:  I'm with Matt that glue will most likely be sufficient.

-Sue

Date Posted: 01 October 2018 at 11:33am
Great info Sue. Many clicker cutters for cutting fabric use an air badder that is glued using HH-66 and Shelter-Rite. It is amazing how well it holds and it requires no special equipment.

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Date Posted: 09 October 2018 at 8:41pm
Well I just made the test bag with H66 and Shelter-Rite, seems to work fine, just let the glue totally dry, the used a heat gun and a wall paper roller. So far it is air tight! Thanks everyone!

Jay

Date Posted: 09 October 2018 at 9:01pm
Great to hear!

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Print Page | Close Window