Print Page | Close Window

Repair on leach edge of genoa

Printed From: Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
Category: Sailmaking
Forum Name: Sail Repair
Forum Discription: Repairing Sails
URL: http://forum.sailrite.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3588
Printed Date: 30 September 2020 at 3:54am

Topic: Repair on leach edge of genoa
Posted By: josephc
Subject: Repair on leach edge of genoa
Date Posted: 05 June 2018 at 8:05pm
I have a vertical rip the length of a panel on the leech edge. It is about a half inch inside of the hem. I do not have a leech line so thats a plus. I watched your videos but am unsure if the proximity to the edge changes the patching procedure. Also the hem edge is damaged from spreader chafe. I was thinking of removing the hem along the rip sewing a patch over the rip then resewing the hem and patching the hem with some new tape in the worn section then adding a spreader patch for good measure.

Is this the right way to do this? Also I am able to tear the sail cloth by hand but is rather difficult so I think the cloth isn't too bad.

Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 06 June 2018 at 8:08am
Your approach is spot on! Some people put the spreader patch under the leech hem so it does not peel. But the spreader patch itself is not sewn down other than the hem area since it is usually made of Insignia Dacron with adhesive backing.

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Posted By: josephc
Date Posted: 06 June 2018 at 7:16pm
I have some left over dacron from my mainsail kit I got from you guys so if it is OK I will use that and sew it down. Would it be bad to make the patch one piece and fold it over the leech down the middle making it equal sized on both sides of the sail?

Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 06 June 2018 at 8:31pm
That is a great way to do it.

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Print Page | Close Window