Print Page | Close Window

Abrasion Patches

Printed From: Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
Category: Canvas Work
Forum Name: Fabric Questions
Forum Discription: Questions about the use and types of fabrics
URL: http://forum.sailrite.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3558
Printed Date: 22 October 2018 at 2:13pm

Topic: Abrasion Patches
Posted By: GlennC
Subject: Abrasion Patches
Date Posted: 24 March 2018 at 4:44pm
I just finished making a large barbecue cover with my Ultrafeed LSZ-1.  I used Top Notch 9 material and would like to put some abrasion patches on the inside of the cover where there are some sharp corners on the barbecue.  I do not want to sew them in as I know the stitching will not look nice on the outside of the cover.

My question is which would be the best product to glue on the patches to my type of material on the inside of the cover.  I have HH-66 cement along with various other spray adhesives on hand.  I am concerned about the adhesive bleeding through the cover though.  Thank You.

Glenn C.

Replies:
Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 26 March 2018 at 9:41am
Hi Glenn,

I really don't trust a glue to do this well. If you want protective patches they should really be sewn. That said, unless the edge is really sharp I would skip the patches. One of the main benefits of Top Notch 9 is that it is extremely abrasion resistant. Hope this helps.

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Posted By: wingless
Date Posted: 27 March 2018 at 8:15am
+1 on sewing the abrasion patches.

This image shows the exterior of my cover, where I sewed abrasion patches for protection from my vent hinges.

-------------
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550

Posted By: GlennC
Date Posted: 27 March 2018 at 9:21am
Wow, your cover looks fantastic.  I'm a new at sewing so it was not until after I finished my cover, three days of work, to think of the patches so I know if I try and sew them in now the outside stitching will look crooked thus the gluing idea.  I have located a spray adhesive for bonding acrylic coatings at the local HD and and when I tried it it on the fabric it did not bead up or bleed thru and was very difficult to pull off after 12 hours.  I know that's not recommended as Matt said but if they come off you can't see it anyway.

Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 27 March 2018 at 9:41am
Hi Glenn, As long as you know you may have to re-glue or sew in the future it will not harm a thing. Congrats on the new cover that will outlast most everything sold as a finished grill cover today!

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Posted By: wingless
Date Posted: 27 March 2018 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by GlennC GlennC wrote:

Wow, your cover looks fantastic.  I'm a new at sewing so it was not until after I finished my cover, three days of work, to think of the patches so I know if I try and sew them in now the outside stitching will look crooked thus the gluing idea.
Thanks much. That was my http://forum.sailrite.com/wingless-custom-enclosure_topic2801.html" rel="nofollow - first project too.

A top stitch foot can be helpful to create sewing lines that don't wander. The foot will follow an edge, like the edge of the internal patch.

-------------
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550

Print Page | Close Window