Print Page | Close Window

Covering large light boards

Printed From: Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
Category: Canvas Work
Forum Name: Covers and Awnings
Forum Discription: Canvas covers of all varieties
URL: http://forum.sailrite.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3495
Printed Date: 29 November 2022 at 7:31pm

Topic: Covering large light boards
Posted By: Elbarcolutra
Subject: Covering large light boards
Date Posted: 01 October 2017 at 4:27pm
Hi--
We have large light boards on our boat (42" long and about 18" high).  I'm patterning to make a cover, which will basically be a flat back, two curved (think ogees) ends, an open bottom, and material connecting the 2 ends.  The fore end is not as tall as the aft end, so I need to add a dart (I have photos, but the link does not let me upload, and they're not on a public site; sorry, because this is much clearer with a photo).  I'm going to use a stiffener on the fore end so I am using a combo of cardboard and plastic patterning material.  I'm tempted to sew together everything but the piece that goes between the 2 ends (the one that will need the dart), and pattern that piece at that time, after I have created the pocket for the stiffener, etc.  Does this seem like a good plan?  Thoughts?
Thanks   

Replies:
Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 02 October 2017 at 10:38pm
I think I will need the photo to understand what you have in mind. Can you email matt@sailrite.com?

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 03 October 2017 at 10:38pm
Yes, you have the right idea. And a dart will work. Or you could use fiberglass reinforced strapping tape to create a separation point for your larger pattern piece. Basically you put the tape taughtly between the two ends at the lower part of the top of the ends. Use the tape as a reference for the seam which basically creates a more elegant way to provide an alternative to a dart.

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Print Page | Close Window