Print Page | Close Window

Reusing foam with new Uphostery in V-berth

Printed From: Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
Category: Canvas Work
Forum Name: Fabric Questions
Forum Discription: Questions about the use and types of fabrics
URL: http://forum.sailrite.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3273
Printed Date: 18 August 2022 at 11:25am

Topic: Reusing foam with new Uphostery in V-berth
Posted By: dleedvm
Subject: Reusing foam with new Uphostery in V-berth
Date Posted: 02 March 2016 at 2:47pm
The original fabric on my Sabre 28's V-berth cushions was a 1970's vintage, almost carpet-like material with a rough surface. I remember seeing similar fabric on sofa's back in the day. I removed the fabric and decided to reuse the foam, after steaming it. I used the foam as a template (since I didn't have access to the boat in the winter), and didn't add any additional margin when I cut out the Sunbrella, thinking that was the right thing to do to keep it wrinkle-free. They came out great but when I put them back in the boat, I found that they fell short a couple of inches on the sides. It appears that the original fabric didn't require compressing the foam at all, since it was too think to actually wrinkly. It has a thick backing like carpeting. 

I will probably redo the covers on the V-berth as a result and would still prefer to use the old foam. Should I add some batting along the edges to provide the tension for the Sunbrella? Any other suggestions? Thanks
David

Replies:
Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 02 March 2016 at 2:51pm
Hi David,

That would make sense. Yes I think adding a batting to the edges will solve the issue. Good idea.

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Print Page | Close Window