Print Page | Close Window

Dinghy chaps chafe protection

Printed From: Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
Category: Canvas Work
Forum Name: Fabric Questions
Forum Discription: Questions about the use and types of fabrics
URL: http://forum.sailrite.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3225
Printed Date: 05 December 2022 at 12:22pm

Topic: Dinghy chaps chafe protection
Posted By: bwhitney
Subject: Dinghy chaps chafe protection
Date Posted: 04 November 2015 at 9:50am
I am in the process of developing my dinghy chaps pattern.  I would like to put heavyweight chafe protection around the rub rail and on the bow.  What would be the recommended vinyl-esque material for this? I was thinking Shelter Rite, but I wanted the most robust protection possible, and I am unfamiliar with many of the vinyls that you carry.

Thanks so much,

Beth
s/v Kestrel

Replies:
Posted By: Zach
Date Posted: 04 November 2015 at 10:18am
Hello bwhitney,

I would recommend Shelter-Rite as it is an affordable fabric designed specifically for chafe protection. Alternatively, Stamoid 12.7oz is a step up from Shelter-Rite as it will last longer overall while still providing the same protective properties to a larger extent.

Please note - The reason I recommend Shelter-Rite is because it is more cost effective. If you are interested in quality over price, Stamoid is the better route.

Best Regards,

-------------
Zach Grant
Sailrite

Date Posted: 04 November 2015 at 10:47am
Thanks so much, Zach.  Do you have a recommendation on the Stamoid weight for this application?

Posted By: Zach
Date Posted: 04 November 2015 at 11:06am
I was talking with the guys and there is dissension on which would be better. Since you are mainly concerned about chafe protection the consensus was to use Shelter-Rite, if you were more concerned about UV degradation then Stamoid 12.7 oz is what you want. 

-------------
Zach Grant
Sailrite

Date Posted: 04 November 2015 at 11:07am
Excellent information.  Thanks for the follow-up!

Print Page | Close Window