Print Page | Close Window

Fabric for an automobile seat?

Printed From: Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
Category: Canvas Work
Forum Name: Fabric Questions
Forum Discription: Questions about the use and types of fabrics
URL: http://forum.sailrite.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3162
Printed Date: 04 October 2022 at 6:01pm

Topic: Fabric for an automobile seat?
Posted By: PDA1
Subject: Fabric for an automobile seat?
Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 9:11pm
I need to make a replacement seat cover for my Ford EXCURSION (2004) Eddie Bauer version.

But, I don't know where to get the exact fabric to match the existing.

Here's the exact match- http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-Ford-Excursion-EDDIE-BAUER-Driver-Bottom-Leather-Seat-Cover-2-TONE-TAN-/221743788694?fits=Make%3AFord|Model%3AExcursion&hash=item33a0f5b296&vxp=mtr" rel="nofollow - http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-Ford-Excursion-EDDIE-BAUER-Driver-Bottom-Leather-Seat-Cover-2-TONE-TAN-/221743788694?fits=Make%3AFord|Model%3AExcursion&hash=item33a0f5b296&vxp=mtr

I know I can sew one using my LSZ-1 but can't find the material anywhere on the web.

Do you know where I can get it?

Thank you

Replies:
Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 9:03am
Finding an exact match will be difficult unless you can get Ford to disclose their source (or even the brand of faux leather they use). I am afraid this is not something we will be able to help much with. Sorry.

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Posted By: Tejas
Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 2:16pm
I don't follow them, but might try automobile upholstery forum in google and post the question on one of those.

-------------
Beneteau First 36.7

Juki LU-1508N
Bernina 217N with CAM Reader
Singer 99 with hand crank

Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 5:05pm
Can you give me a link?

Posted By: Tejas
Date Posted: 12 May 2015 at 8:34am
Try various google searches such as:

automobile upholstery forum

auto upholstery forum

diy auto upholstery forum

-------------
Beneteau First 36.7

Juki LU-1508N
Bernina 217N with CAM Reader
Singer 99 with hand crank

Date Posted: 06 June 2015 at 7:18am
Fabric for our car is/was supposedly not available anymore. A lot of time was spent searching telephoning for it but to no success. An exact match example was found in something called DetroitBook 2003 in which all color fabric for cars was found. But, the supplier of the fabric made it quite clear- there's none available anymore.

So, I went to Joann fabric and found 2 colors which are an approximate match. The entire driver's side seat was removed and the old seat leather was taken apart and used as a pattern. I sewed a new one with the glorious LSZ-1 and 6 hours later the job was finished. Does it look good!

The hardest part of the project was installing the "hog rings" which are split rings that secure parts of the seat fabric to the seat/foam itself. This has nothing to do with the sewing- just the final installation of the new seat.

The LSZ-1 has already solidly paid for itself after about 2 months. 

Print Page | Close Window