Print Page | Close Window

Problems sewing 30 GA window material

Printed From: Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
Category: Canvas Work
Forum Name: Fabric Questions
Forum Discription: Questions about the use and types of fabrics
URL: http://forum.sailrite.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2884
Printed Date: 28 June 2022 at 11:30pm

Topic: Problems sewing 30 GA window material
Posted By: Typhoon
Subject: Problems sewing 30 GA window material
Date Posted: 08 March 2014 at 2:06pm
I am trying to replace windows in a Bimini enclosure and am having trouble with loose stitches on the bottom . If increase tension on the top the thread breaks.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: Matt B
Date Posted: 10 March 2014 at 9:28am
Hello Typhoon,

you may be able to use a larger needle and increase the tension on the Presser Feet to resolve this issue.  You can call or email me for technical support at 1-800-348-2769 or mattb@sailrite.com

-------------
Matt Borden

Sailrite

Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 10 March 2014 at 10:02am
Are you using V-92 thread and a #20 needle? Have you checked to make sure you don't have a bur on the cap spring?

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Date Posted: 10 March 2014 at 10:47pm
Yes, That is the combination Im using.
Can you explain the "burr on the cap spring" or guide to some directions on how to check and remedy?

I was able to improve bottom tension but not cure the problem by shortening the stitch length and going from straight to just a tiny bit of zig zag. 
The machine is a Consew 146RB1

Thanks!!!

Date Posted: 11 March 2014 at 12:10am
2nd reply
I found the Sailrite video explaining the bur on the cap spring, checked out my machine and found nothing major. I did dress up the areas with a small file and emery cloth. Also cleaned and added a few drops of oil.
Same results sewing 2 layers of 30 gauge. I tightened the tension knob carefully slowly working out the loose bottom stitches until the thread breaks. 

After that I tried 4 layers of Sunbrella and it sewed beautifully even doubling that over to 8 layers, no problem. Straight stitch or zig zag.

I've not had this trouble before with vinyl, old or new, 1 layer or several. So somethings wrong in there. Timing?
Consew 146RB1

Thanks !

Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 11 March 2014 at 8:47am
You might want to talk to Consew to see if this is a known issue. It almost sounds to me like the presser foot does not have a proper relief lift to allow for tensioning of the upper thread. It could simply be that the "walk" of the feet went out of sync. I would guess that on the Consew 146 that the inner foot should rise at least 2mm above the needle plate when the walking foot is in its full downward position. This would also makes sense given that a shorter stitch helps to correct the problem - it is much easier for a machine to apply tension to shorter stitch lengths. Let me know if you strike out with Consew and we can try to help further.

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Print Page | Close Window