Print Page | Close Window

wingless' Custom Enclosure

Printed From: Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
Category: Canvas Work
Forum Name: Covers and Awnings
Forum Discription: Canvas covers of all varieties
URL: http://forum.sailrite.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2801
Printed Date: 14 November 2019 at 11:05pm

Topic: wingless' Custom Enclosure
Posted By: wingless
Subject: wingless' Custom Enclosure
Date Posted: 20 November 2013 at 11:08pm

This is my project, a new custom enclosure for my 2000 380 SeaRay Sundancer.

This was my first time ever using a sewing machine. My wife and daughter both attempted to dissuade my attempt, telling me that I didn't know how hard it was to sew, but I could visualize the effort and the result, so I knew I could do it. The wife sat silent, watching me cut and sew, until I finished and installed the first piece, the aft top cover, then proclaimed that I could sew after all.

The result is acceptable to me. The factory canvas did not fit and leaked all over. This custom enclosure fits and does not leak.

The fabric I selected is the Sunbrella Supreme, Captain Navy exterior and Linen interior. The binding is navy on everything visible from the exterior and linen on everything else. I used 0.040" Strataglass for all the windows. The linen interior was selected to reduce the passenger heat gain and to make it lighter when closed-up.

A sunshade was designed and created to cover all the forward glass and Strataglass to blot out the sun while tied up at the dock, another was made to cover the rear windows. The soft Sunbrella Supreme interior flocking protects the Strataglass from abrasion.

This was a long, hard slog to complete this enclosure, but the final results are worth the effort.

Complete Enclosure Forward Exterior

Forward Interior

Forward Sunshade Exterior

Forward Sunshade Interior

Aft Curtain Exterior w/ Sunshade

Aft Curtain Interior

Port Window

Sewing Window

Making Patterns

-------------
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550

Replies:
Date Posted: 21 November 2013 at 3:10pm

Here is my dash cover.

It is also made from Sunbrella Supreme, Linen color interior and exterior.

There are a few perimeter snaps to hold it in-place when the boat is open to the sun and wind.

-------------
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550

Posted By: cyprusx
Date Posted: 21 November 2013 at 4:35pm
Excellent!!!!  How is the pattern material attached to the finished canvas when you were sizing?

Thx!

-------------
Thanks,
Rick

Date Posted: 21 November 2013 at 5:30pm

Maybe I don't understand the question.

The material I use for making the pattern is the 6 mil thick plastic sheet. I've also seen Tyvek used for pattern material. The plastic sheet is initially attached to the boat, w/ tape, double-sided tape and w/ bungee cords. I use a sharpie to mark the pattern.

The pattern is then modified to add / remove material for the zipper / Keder welt / full feld seam or whatever is required for the design.

Then I lay the pattern on the fabric and mark the fabric. Most of the fabric is cut w/ a hot knife against a large mirror, because it is smooth and flat.

When I need a pattern for a panel that attaches to an existing panel, I sew the zipper onto the plastic sheet to permit zipping onto the existing panel and making better marks.

-------------
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550

Posted By: cyprusx
Date Posted: 21 November 2013 at 8:50pm
Thanks!  Your last sentence answered my question.  It appeared that you fastened the zippers to the plastic material and you have confirmed.  Nice job and great tips.

-------------
Thanks,
Rick

Posted By: mkglass
Date Posted: 23 May 2014 at 6:06pm
Wow I'm so impressed and inspired. Thanks for the photos!

-------------
marcee

Posted By: carib2008
Date Posted: 23 May 2014 at 6:57pm
That was your first project, amazing!

I can see you getting into business soon.

Date Posted: 07 August 2017 at 11:04pm
The topic was reworked to replace the PB extortion images w/ Flickr images.

This effort was as-much fun as it appears.

-------------
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550

Print Page | Close Window