Print Page | Close Window

kevlar?

Printed From: Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
Category: Canvas Work
Forum Name: Fabric Questions
Forum Discription: Questions about the use and types of fabrics
URL: http://forum.sailrite.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2655
Printed Date: 01 December 2022 at 5:26pm

Topic: kevlar?
Posted By: allorache
Subject: kevlar?
Date Posted: 02 July 2013 at 4:00pm
Has anyone sewn kevlar fabric with their sailrite?  I am trying to make some protective gear for my dachshund, who has been attacked 3 times by big off-leash dogs.  I found some fabric but I'm not having any luck finding out the basics of sewing with it -- does it need to ne washed first?  How do you wash it? do the edges ravel?  If so, what's the best way to finish them?  zigzag? fold? binding?  what needles?

Replies:
Posted By: Tejas
Date Posted: 05 July 2013 at 5:00pm
Interesting question, so out of curiosity I did a few searches. Opinions on sewing seemed to be varied, but sewing might not be as much of a problem as cutting kevlar.

You might want to try queries such as how to sew kelvar fabric or how to cut kelvar fabric.

Date Posted: 03 September 2013 at 3:46pm
Just in case anyone is interested, I wound up using ballistic nylon, which I got from Rockywoods Fabrics.  I finished the edges by heat sealing with a soldering iron, and then I applied 1" foldover elastic using my Sailrite and my right angle binder attachment.  I was able to sew on the velcro with my regular sewing machine using a #16 needle. 

-------------

Posted By: wingless
Date Posted: 04 September 2013 at 10:07am
That sounds great!

Can you post an image?

Has your dachshund become more bold, after becoming "bulletproof"?

-------------
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550

Date Posted: 06 September 2013 at 3:26pm
Here (I hope) is a picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dz4d8cohvxmqza4/IMG_1368_sm.jpg" rel="nofollow -

My dachshund is already too bold -- I wish he would have a little more fear of bigger dogs!

Print Page | Close Window