Print Page | Close Window

Hot knife

Printed From: Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
Category: Miscellaneous Topics
Forum Name: General Miscellaneous Topics
Forum Discription: Discussions on issues that don't fit any of the other forum topics
URL: http://forum.sailrite.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2653
Printed Date: 25 February 2020 at 4:01am

Topic: Hot knife
Posted By: Jcamp
Subject: Hot knife
Date Posted: 01 July 2013 at 2:32pm
Hi, can you tell me if the hot knives you sell are more effective at cutting sunbrella fabric than a weller solder gun with a thin knife blade? It seems that I had to make several slow passes to cut through one layer of fabric. Is there a limit on the effective trigger time? Thanks John

Replies:
Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 01 July 2013 at 2:34pm
Get the Edge Hotknife! It is a dream compared to any soldering gun. There is a limit to trigger time but if you cycle the trigger on/off every 20 seconds or so it works in a continuous manner without trouble. We love this knife.

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Posted By: suziQ
Date Posted: 02 July 2013 at 8:03am
Is the Edge an upgrade on the Engle Matt ?

Suzi

-------------
If it aint broke, don't fix it !

Date Posted: 02 July 2013 at 8:26am
Both are great products. I would say they are comparable products but the Edge is a lot less expensive since we have it made specifically for Sailrite in large quantities. Our buying power saves our customers who opt to purchase this knife over the original Engle product.

Differences:

Engle has a light, Edge does not.

Edge has a much longer power cord.

Edge comes as a complete package with cutting foot, case, and cutting blade

Engle is made in Germany and Edge is made in China

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Posted By: suziQ
Date Posted: 02 July 2013 at 1:19pm
Cool, thanks Matt.

That longer cord is a great idea.

Suzi

-------------
If it aint broke, don't fix it !

Posted By: wingless
Date Posted: 12 July 2013 at 7:58am
The hot knife is a VERY handy tool.

It provides a terrific cut on the Sunbrella fabric, sealing the edges, preventing fraying.

My house had a closet door w/ a full length mirror that I removed during remodelling. Now I use that mirror / door as a flat cutting surface.

-------------
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550

Date Posted: 17 July 2013 at 12:57pm
BTW, the easy way to keep the cutting blade clean is using the brass toothbrush on a warm blade.

The residue is very tough when the blade is cool and is easy to remove when the blade is warm / hot.

-------------
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550

Posted By: Rock Hall Canvas
Date Posted: 25 July 2013 at 10:48am
Besides glass or a mirror, can anyone suggest any other hot knife cutting surface? One that does not shatter like glass.

Posted By: Sowlady
Date Posted: 27 July 2013 at 7:54pm
We recently purchased the hot knife when the kit was on sale. Love, Love, Love it. Just be sure to use it in an open area or windows open, if you are doing a lot of cutting.  I have used it on webbing, sunbrella and rope. WONDERFUL!!  Heats up quickly. Fun tool to have.

-------------
Sowlady

Date Posted: 29 July 2013 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Sowlady Sowlady wrote:

We recently purchased the hot knife when the kit was on sale.

Just be sure to use it in an open area or windows open, if you are doing a lot of cutting.
When I use mine, I squeeze the trigger on and off so the blade stays hot, but there is almost no smoke.

Originally posted by Rock Hall Canvas Rock Hall Canvas wrote:

Besides glass or a mirror, can anyone suggest any other hot knife cutting surface? One that does not shatter like glass.
Another surface that is impervious to the hot blade and won't suck heat away is tempered glass.

The tempered glass is much safer than a cheapo mirror or plain glass. The tempered glass will still break w/ a strong impact, but the result is small squares of glass chunks, not long shards.

-------------
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550

Posted By: Jabchnn
Date Posted: 09 December 2017 at 9:55am
My Edge hot knife is not working.  It will not heat enough to cut fabric and gums up blade.  Help!  

-------------
Doty Hill Designs
T@B 320 Sunshades

Date Posted: 09 December 2017 at 5:04pm
Found the problem to the hot knife - it was a loose screw!  

-------------
Doty Hill Designs
T@B 320 Sunshades

Date Posted: 10 December 2017 at 9:23pm
So glad you found the issue. Yes those screws need to be tight to make the connections good for heating. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Posted By: Sailor
Date Posted: 11 December 2017 at 4:34am
I had a sheet of thin formica lying around. I put it on top of my sewing table in the area where I keep the hot knife. It makes for a large and excellent cutting surface.

Posted By: GlennC
Date Posted: 11 December 2017 at 12:40pm
I use a 4' x 2' thin piece of Formica from an old counter top but I think you can buy it cheaply.  It only melts ever so slightly if you leave the hot knife in one place for to long but otherwise the knife just glides over it.  Very lightweight.

Posted By: Jknight611
Date Posted: 11 December 2017 at 6:29pm
The Edge has the little foot, I have adjusted mine so the blade doesn’t protrude through the foot, has a slight shearing effect. I cut Sunbrella on my plastic folding table. Works great!

Date Posted: 11 December 2017 at 7:40pm
I use my hot iron without the foot and find I am more able to cut accurately.  I use hardboard to cut on.  

-------------
Doty Hill Designs
T@B 320 Sunshades

Date Posted: 22 December 2017 at 1:03pm
I love the Edge hot knife!  It seals the edges of the fabric eliminating fraying.  Cuts through the fabric like cutting through soft butter.  

-------------
Doty Hill Designs
T@B 320 Sunshades

Date Posted: 22 December 2017 at 1:07pm
Do try the Fabricator sewing machine.  It works like a charm.  Sews through two layers of fabric, two layers of webbing and keder tape with NO problems at all.

-------------
Doty Hill Designs
T@B 320 Sunshades

Print Page | Close Window