Print Page | Close Window

Sunbrella or Sunbrella plus

Printed From: Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
Category: Canvas Work
Forum Name: Fabric Questions
Forum Discription: Questions about the use and types of fabrics
URL: http://forum.sailrite.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2543
Printed Date: 07 December 2022 at 8:25am

Topic: Sunbrella or Sunbrella plus
Posted By: lszinspain
Subject: Sunbrella or Sunbrella plus
Date Posted: 27 January 2013 at 7:26am
Hi I have used Sunbrella plus (with the bottom side coating) to make a bimini.
Using the same material I also made winch covers and a fitted binnacle cover as well.

My question is, would it have been better to use regular Sunbrella without the coating?
Will the coated version hold in more moisture around the winches and wooden binnacle?

Also now I am about to order more material to make a mainsail cover (stackpack style),
 should I use the coated sunbrella or non coated?
Does it matter?

Thanks in advance,

Shane

-------------
SK in Spain

Replies:
Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 27 January 2013 at 9:37am
Hi Shane,
It is true Sunbrella Plus will not breathe as well as standard marine grade Sunbrella. But I doubt it will cause any issues in the applications you have used it for. For the Bimini it is the absolute correct choice.

For the sail pack I do suggest you go back to the standard marine grade.
Best Regards, Matt
Sailrite

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Posted By: Tejas
Date Posted: 27 January 2013 at 4:24pm
Matt, would you please explain why for a Bimini Sunbrella Plus is the absolute correct choice over standard marine grade Sunbrella. Abrasion resistance might be the reason. However, if the abrasion resistance is from the vinyl side, that might not be that much of an advantage.

Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 28 January 2013 at 10:35am
Breathe ability is not important for an open top like a Bimini. As a result if someone is willing to pay the premium price for Sunbrella Plus, SeaMark, or Sunbrella Supreme each are certainly going to be more water resistant over the long haul when compared to standard marine grade Sunbrella. And you are correct that abrasion resistance is enhanced.

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Print Page | Close Window