Print Page | Close Window

cockpit cushions

Printed From: Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
Category: Canvas Work
Forum Name: Fabric Questions
Forum Discription: Questions about the use and types of fabrics
URL: http://forum.sailrite.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2504
Printed Date: 01 December 2022 at 5:38pm

Topic: cockpit cushions
Posted By: Keri
Subject: cockpit cushions
Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 9:27am
Good Morning,
I will be making cockpit cushions out of marine grade Sunbrella and was looking for a suggestion for an alternate material to use on the underneath side.  As  you will not see this, I was hoping for a good, less expensive alternative to the Sunbrella.

The smaller cockpit cushions do have a snap on the underneath side to snap onto the non-skid of the cockpit so the material would have to withstand the "pull" of the cushion when removing them.  Of course there is the option of reinforcing the snap areas as well.

Thanks for the assistance!

Keri

-------------
Sailing the Chesapeake - Keri

Replies:
Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 9:28am
Hi Keri,
What about using Phifertex for the underside? It will allow the cushions to breathe as well.

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Posted By: Sue2
Date Posted: 12 March 2013 at 11:00am
Keri,
What about the Cushion Underlining? (Sailrite Item # 768, 772, or 774 for different colors)  I've had good luck with this, but have not tried an application with snaps.  At a fraction of the price of Phifertex, it's a economical option.

-Sue

Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 12 March 2013 at 11:08am
Yes, the underlining would work fine and we are now in the process of adding beige.

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Posted By: Sue2
Date Posted: 12 March 2013 at 12:58pm
One more thought:  When installing the snap on the cushion side, it would help to reinforce it locally with a small piece of Sunbrella or vinyl on the inside.

Print Page | Close Window