Print Page | Close Window

Possible Mildew - Sunbrella Bimini

Printed From: Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
Category: Canvas Work
Forum Name: Fabric Questions
Forum Discription: Questions about the use and types of fabrics
URL: http://forum.sailrite.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2428
Printed Date: 28 November 2022 at 8:49am

Topic: Possible Mildew - Sunbrella Bimini
Posted By: Keri
Subject: Possible Mildew - Sunbrella Bimini
Date Posted: 17 October 2012 at 2:13pm
Good Day,
I have a multiple part question.  It appears this bimini is developing mildew on the underneath side on the Sunbrella and YKK zipper. 

1. What could cause mildew growth?  I have not seen this before and Sunbrella is not prone to develop mildew (resistant).

2. What is the best method to remove/clean/prevent this?  Glen Raven suggest using a mixture of bleach and mild detergent.  I am concerned with discoloration from the bleach are they referring to use a color safe bleach?

3. Any thoughts as to if this is something other than mildew?

I was hoping to upload a picture but it looks like the image file size is 10KB for the server.  I can email this you if it will help.

Thanks!
Keri

-------------
Sailing the Chesapeake - Keri

Replies:
Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 17 October 2012 at 2:17pm
1. dirt in the weave or on the fabric can mildew. Clean the area well and rinse. After it dries recoat with 303 Fabric Guard to waterproof. Do not get Fabric Guard on the zipper teeth or the clear vinyl windows.

2. 303 Aerospace Cleaner and then 303 Fabric Guard. Bleach will not harm the Sunbrella but it will do a number on Polyester thread.

3. Most likely Mildew.

You can email mailto:matt@sailrite.com" rel="nofollow - matt@sailrite.com if you like.

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Print Page | Close Window