Print Page | Close Window

Winter Cover Fabric

Printed From: Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
Category: Canvas Work
Forum Name: Fabric Questions
Forum Discription: Questions about the use and types of fabrics
URL: http://forum.sailrite.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2291
Printed Date: 04 December 2022 at 6:53pm

Topic: Winter Cover Fabric
Posted By: Sue2
Subject: Winter Cover Fabric
Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 8:07am
I am in the process of researching the best material for a sailboat winter cover.  I live in Erie, PA, so the cover will likely be subject to cold temps, potentially lots of snow, and high winds.  My biggest challenge is that this is a newly restored boat, and I would like to protect the pristine paint and varnish as well as possible.

I realize the biggest challenge will be the design, to minimize the fabric flapping in the wind, but I wanted to pick a fabric that would last many years and not ruin the paint.

A helpful "Live Chat" person at Sailrite told me that the popular Top Gun was not what I wanted, and recommended Surlast.  Is Surlast going to provide many years of durability and sufficient breathability?  I do like the idea that it will be half the weight.

I also contemplated making the cover from Surlast from about the toerail up, and using Odyssey SofTouch on the lower portion in contact with the paint.  Any comments on this idea?  Is SofTouch going to hold up to the elements (cold, UV)?  Will the fuzzy inside absorb moisture and create problems?  Will there be fit problems with using dissimilar materials sewn together?

Thanks!

-Sue

Replies:
Posted By: Matt B
Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 9:20am
Hello Sue,
SurLast fabric is a tough, non-abrasive polyester fabric with excellent weather and abrasion resistance and good breathability.   Odyssey Soft Touch also features great water, UV, and mildew resistance.  It also has excellent abrasion resistance and can be used in conjunction with the Surlast.  Both fabrics sew easily and are available in 60" widths.
Best regards,
Matt Borden

-------------
Matt Borden

Sailrite

Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 5:19pm
I agree with Matt B and the Live Chat operator. Top Gun, though really durable, may be to harsh to the new paint. Surlast is much softer. My only concern with the Soft Touch is that it gets really bulky when you start talking double digit yards. I think I would use SurLast for everything and maybe do some critical area layering with Soft touch (a sq ft here and there).

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Posted By: Sue2
Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 9:17pm
Thank you, that really helps!  I had not thought about the bulkiness.  I also was thinking the fuzzy side would tend to gather dirt if the cover was dropped on the ground.  I think I will stick with SurLast.  Now, to work out the design...

-Sue

Print Page | Close Window