Print Page | Close Window

Cleaned Mildew from Sunbrella - Need Fabric Guard?

Printed From: Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
Category: Canvas Work
Forum Name: Fabric Questions
Forum Discription: Questions about the use and types of fabrics
URL: http://forum.sailrite.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=195
Printed Date: 30 March 2020 at 2:24am

Topic: Cleaned Mildew from Sunbrella - Need Fabric Guard?
Posted By: david.h
Subject: Cleaned Mildew from Sunbrella - Need Fabric Guard?
Date Posted: 06 December 2006 at 10:46am

I made a complete canvas enclosure for my 33 foot powerboat and put it on for the first time last season.  After only one season of use, I had a severe mildew problem on the inside of the canvas.  I followed Sunbrella's instructions for cleaning (gentle soap and chlorine bleach in washing machine) and it came out looking like new.  They recommend then using the 303 Fabric Guard.

I just read a post on this forum that said not to use 303 Fabric Guard if canvas is new.

What should I do, apply the 303 or not?

Replies:
Posted By: w1ndfall
Date Posted: 06 December 2006 at 1:09pm

Hi David H.:

According to Glen Raven, the manufacturer of Sunbrella, any time that the material is moderately agressively cleaned, the fluorocarbon coating that causes water to bead is removed.  The only way to replace it that is endorsed by the manufacturer is to treat the fabric with 303 Fabric Guard.

The bottom line is, if water does not bead on the cloth, or does not bead like it did when the fabric was new, is to treat it with 303 Fabric Guard.

Best regards,
Dan Smith
Annapolis Store Manager

Posted By: david.h
Date Posted: 06 December 2006 at 4:23pm
Thanks Dan:

I'll come by to your store for the 303 Fabric Guard and I was also wondering do you carry Sky Blue (4624) sunbrella.  I finished my enclosure with Sky Blue, but now I want to upgrade my hatch covers, fender covers, etc. 

Are you open on Sat.?

Dave

Posted By: w1ndfall
Date Posted: 06 December 2006 at 4:48pm
I have Sky Blue Sunbrella fabric and 303 Fabric Guard in stock.

Saturday hours are 10:00 AM til 5:00 PM.

Dan

Print Page | Close Window