Print Page | Close Window

cover for patio

Printed From: Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
Category: Canvas Work
Forum Name: Fabric Questions
Forum Discription: Questions about the use and types of fabrics
URL: http://forum.sailrite.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1341
Printed Date: 01 December 2022 at 6:05pm

Topic: cover for patio
Posted By: gregt
Subject: cover for patio
Date Posted: 01 July 2011 at 2:22pm
I'd like to build a patio cover with a frame and a waterproof fabric.  I would like something that can be streached tight so it won't sag a lot when it rains. I'll probably will have support ever 4 ft. and a 6 inch per ft slope.  What type of material would be best for this? Could I use sail material?

greg

Replies:
Posted By: w1ndfall
Date Posted: 01 July 2011 at 3:51pm

Hi Greg:

If there is a slope to your installation, then rain can run off.  If this is the case, a good water repellant material such as Sunbrella Marine Grade or Sunbrella Awning Grade are excellent choices.  As long as water can run off, water repellant is a better choice that waterproof.  Waterproof materials are airtight as well, and vaprous water cannot evaporate through these membranes.  It just sits there and cooks in the sun, usually resulting in mold growth.

If you have no built in slope, consider building in a crown to the shape with an eye to letting water run off.  About 1" of crown for every 2' of structure will accomplish this.

You can use waterproof materials such as Stamoid Top or Shelter-Rite and stretch them taut, but water will pool on top if not allowed to drain. and it will create lines or puddle marks when the pooled water does burn off.

I hope that this helps.

Best regards,
Dan

Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 01 July 2011 at 11:20pm
I agree with Dan, Sunbrella marine or awning is the way to go. Sailcloth will not last as long in direct sunlight.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Posted By: gregt
Date Posted: 02 July 2011 at 10:36am
Thanks for the info. That what I'll plan on using.

Greg

Posted By: MattGrant
Date Posted: 05 July 2011 at 9:37am
Happy sewing!!!
Matt

-------------
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite

Print Page | Close Window