Print Page | Close Window

sunbrella & ’needle leekage’

Printed From: Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
Category: Canvas Work
Forum Name: Fabric Questions
Forum Discription: Questions about the use and types of fabrics
URL: http://forum.sailrite.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=103
Printed Date: 30 March 2020 at 2:59am

Topic: sunbrella & ’needle leekage’
Posted By: cordm
Subject: sunbrella & ’needle leekage’
Date Posted: 12 April 2006 at 1:08pm
I'm looking for feedback with regard to re-waterproofing the seams of a boat cover constructed of sunbrella. While sewing the top I used the smallest needle I've been able to find for the ultrafeed: #14(90). Is there any smaller needle available? The person I sewed the cover for says the seams are leaking.

Would a spray on flurocarbon based retreatment like '303 High tech fabric guard' help to seal the seams?

Anyone reading this who sews boat tops semi-professionally? - would you see 're-waterproofing' as a service over and above the initial product cost? or do you know of anyone who treat the seams on project completion?

thanks,

-------------
N. Cornell
ncornell@interbaun.com

Replies:
Posted By: w1ndfall
Date Posted: 12 April 2006 at 5:13pm

Hi Cordm:

There are a couple of things that you can do regarding seam leakage. 

The first, and most effective thing is to baste any seam with #129 Seamstick tape prior to sewing and then sew right through the tape.  The adhesive from the tape imbeds itself in the holes and stops ant leaks before they start.  I do this routinely using a 20 gauge needle and V-92 thread, and I have yet to have a problem with leaking seams.

The second is to coat the inside of a seam prone to leakage with 29301 Plastiseam.  Do this on the inside only as it may leave a whitish streak.

303 fabric card is a good product, but it is best not to apply it until the Sunbrella is at least 3 years old.  Treatment prior to this may result in a mottled appearance because of the sizing that has not yet worn away from newer Sunbrella.

I hope that this helps.

Dan Smith

Annapolis Store Manager

Posted By: cordm
Date Posted: 13 April 2006 at 2:30am
thanks for the quick feedback

-------------
N. Cornell
ncornell@interbaun.com

Print Page | Close Window