Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedPortlight sun covers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danlmetzler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Portlight sun covers
    Posted: 25 August 2011 at 5:33pm
Hello!

I'm making interior sun covers for my windows on my Catalina 30 that are just simple pieces of Phifertex cut into the shape of the interior of the frame of each window (there are three per side). I'd like to put a border around each piece that will also be the area where I'll install a few snaps to secure the cover. Each window cover is about 7 inches by 24 inches with rounded corners, and therein lies my problem!

How would I frame this piece without resorting to making a square cover? I need the frame to be about 1-1/4 inches wide (finished) so that it gives the illusion of the aluminum frame behind it as well as to have an are to install a few snaps. Sunbrella that wide puckers in the corners too badly to use a long piece (like binding material).

Do I need to actually cut a frame like window out of sunbrella and then hem both edges of it to get a clean look? If they were square I'd use some piping and ease each corner but I'm stumped on this oblong, rounded corner look that I need to end up with.

The idea of each of these is to reduce the sun somewhat, offer some level of privacy but mainly they will hold in place the UV relective material that I put into the window when the boat is unattended. I'd like them to look finished enough though to leave them on all season if I want to.

Thanks for any advice!

Dan.
Sue2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2013 at 9:06am
This is waaaay late, I'm sure, but the only suggestion I would have is to make a frame. like you mention, and then finish the edge with binding rather than a hem.  Bias cut binding should bunch less.  The only trick would be to cut the inside curve of the frame neatly so that it looked clean with light behind it.

I'd be interested to hear what you came up with.

-Sue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic