Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - piping cord position/sewing over the piping cord
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Lockedpiping cord position/sewing over the piping cord

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DebbieRez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: piping cord position/sewing over the piping cord
    Posted: 11 March 2017 at 12:15pm
Hello,

When using 5/32" welting cord on the LSZ-1, where should the cord be positioned? It seems to me that it should be centered in the welting tunnel but when I center it the left side of the presser foot does not touch the fabric.  The fabric ends up moving so that I'm sewing directly onto the cord.

If I do not center the welting cord in the tunnel, but instead align the edge of the fabric (where it is wrapped around the cord) with the left edge of the presser foot and have the needle in center position, it sews fine, but the needle is not as close to the cord as I would like.  If I move the needle to the left position, I again sew directly over the cord. 

I looked through all previous piping discussions but could not find an answer. I'm using the LSZ-I with the foot that came on the machine, and 5/32" welting cord that I bought from Sailrite.  

Thank you. 
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 9:15am
The cord should be to the left of the needle. You will need to make sure the foot does not fed over the top of welt as you go. If you want to make this as easy as possible I suggest you get our larger cording foot set (#104854 --- http://www.sailrite.com/Cording-Foot-Set-for-Ultrafeed-LSZ-1-For-Larger-Welting). It is a design that really helps to hold the cord in the proper stop. We designed it for soft cotton welt but it works better for every type, including the foam 5/32".

For either foot you should set the needle to the center position.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic