Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Outboard engine cover and lifting sling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jumaggafanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outboard engine cover and lifting sling
    Posted: 31 October 2018 at 11:11am
I recently experienced a failed buckle on a commercially manufactured engine lifting sling. While not a disastrous outcome it could have been avoided by using a better buckle.
I intend to make a new sling for lifting the engine from dinghy to the stern rail. I believe I can make an engine cover to install w/engine on rail and sling in place using Velcro closure around nylon straps. Has anyone else made their own sling....and tried to incorporated an engine cover.
I intend to make something that shields U/V and water on top but is tapered and ventilated at bottom.
I will not use nylon buckles for sure and think Sailrite #103782 is the correct buckle for the sling.
Any help would be appreciated.

wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2018 at 10:23am
Welcome to the forum.

The redesigned sling should never use a fastener like a buckle to support a load.

The design should use the structure to support the load and the fasteners to hold the structure together, not putting any load on the fastener.
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
Jumaggafanny View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jumaggafanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2019 at 11:36am
Wingless, I can clearly see the wisdom in your statement but remain confused. I intend to use webbing but how to follow your advice is unclear...I am a bit foggy. My plan is to use webbing to encircle a lower portion of outboard engine an vertical straps to hold load. Can you draw me a sketch or explain it like I'm 5 yrs old?
This is for a great friend and I sure don't want to make his outboard engine an offering to Neptune.
Thanks for info!
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2019 at 8:19am
Here is an image showing the vertical mass NOT being supported by a buckle.

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/swi-tec/product-22215-223450.html
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
Jumaggafanny View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jumaggafanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 12:30pm
Wingless,
Thank you for the link/pix.
I was uncertain about this since the circumferential web at the lower is a closure. I see the vertical as one continuous.

Thank You for the info.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic