Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Home Sewing Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedOlder machine info please!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Older machine info please!
    Posted: 03 February 2008 at 10:43pm
Hi all,

Newbie here looking to get an older sewing machine to sew sails and make repairs.  Nothing to intense, sails are for a 24' boat.

What should the machine be able to do?
What models/brands should I look for?
Is there a book or site with information on older machines and there capabilites?

edit/ specifically any thoughts on the Pfaff 130?

Thanks all for the help and any advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by AdamS - 04 February 2008 at 8:29am
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 9:29am
Of course I am biased to the Sailrite machines so my recommendation is the Ultrafeed LSZ-1.

Sailrite does sell a book called the "Sail Repair Manual" #36302 which discusses souping up a home sewing machine and also covers older home machines which have some beef to them. You might get this book.

Phaff 130 is a good older machine and they do reasonably well. The main drawbacks will be no walking foot, nominal power and short straight stitch length which is not ideal for canvas work.

Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 9:39am
Matt,

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I can't afford the LSZ-1 right now and need something to get me through a couple sail repairs and maybe a sail kit. 
I know this is a dumb question, but what is "no walking foot?"  I assume a technical term for automatic feed?  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 5:03pm
The 138 has a drop feed mechanism. This means there is a feet dog and a sled foot above it. When the foot it lowered it applies pressure to the fabric against the feed dog creating motion. A walking foot has the same feed dog but also has a foot which walks in unison with the feed dog thereby pulling the cloth from both top and bottom surfaces.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 12:41am
Matt, Thanks for the help.  The 138's are tough to find.  Thanks again for your time.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 9:09am
I am sorry. I meant to say Phaff 130 in my postings above. Although, the 138 is also a drop feed mechanism like the 130. The 138 is a better choice but you are correct that they are harder to find and also more expensive. I do have an Ultrafeed LSZ-1 in stock now that can be had for a deal. Call me at 800-348-2769. Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Fillip View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2018 at 8:12am
Many of old sewing machines do not come with manual(
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic