Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nylon webbing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MN Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nylon webbing
    Posted: 10 November 2014 at 9:05pm
I've made a few boat covers and I've been having difficulty when I sew nylon webbing to webbing.  If I sew a single layer to fabric, it goes well, but when I double it over to make a tie off point (either two layers of webbing sewn together, or two webbing layers with fabric on one side or in-between) I keep running into erratic stitch tension.  I've experimented with more or less tension, but I keep ending up with rats nests of thread on one side or the other, generally on the bottom side.  Is there a trick to this?  Bias towards top tension or bottom tension? Much tension or little tension? Any change in the presser foot tension?  Of all the things I've done, I just can't seem to consistently sew nice uniform stitches top and bottom on webbing, and it's driving me nuts.  Anybody have any suggestions?  - MN Mike
M Peltier
Matt B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2014 at 9:01am

Hello MN Mike,

An online support case can be filed from your web account. A web account is created when you register online or when you place an online order (if e-mail and password is provided).

Login and go to “My Account” to file a support case. Select "Start a Support Case" from the left column, fill out the form, and click Submit to report a problem or ask a question regarding a Sailrite product. Your case will be assigned and reviewed accordingly within Sailrite. Once reviewed, you will receive an e-mail with a response or solution to your inquiry via video.  We can usually resolve the issue very quickly.

Matt Borden

Sailrite
MN Mike View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MN Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2014 at 6:57am
Thanks Sailrite, I will try changing the presser foot tension as you've suggested, and will experiment with fine tuning the foot height if I can't resolve it with the normal force adjustment.

MN Mike
M Peltier
kim View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2014 at 9:41pm
Were you able to get this solved? I'm considering buying the LSZ-1. I make dog leashes and collars, so being able to sew nylon webbing to nylon webbing is crucial. Thanks. 
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2014 at 9:03am
Sewing webbing is a critical task in sail and canvas sewing too. If the problem is not solved please contact support to reopen the case. Sailrite has several customers making dog collars and toys with teh Ultrafeed.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
MN Mike View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MN Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2014 at 11:34am
Yes, it turned out that I didn't have the foot pressure tight enough (as Matt suggested).  This morning, after reading your post, I sewed some heavy nylon leashes back together. They are REALLY thick, and it sewed them easily.  I'm glad I bought this machine, and I'd do it again.  Also, the manual and the instruction and maintenance DVD is probably the most useful I've ever seen.  Good luck, do it, you will be glad you did.  Merry Christmas.

Mike
M Peltier
kim View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2014 at 3:27pm
Thanks, all! Looks like I'll be ordering just after the holidays. You've been really helpful. Happy holidays, Merry Christmas and thanks again. 
kerryleehaas View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerryleehaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2016 at 3:01pm
I make dog collars and bought the Sail Rite ultrafeed because my singer can't hack it. I know this is an old thread but what are your upper tension, bobbin tension and presser foot settings at? I'm having a hard time get everything equal.   I can sew a long length of heavy duty nylon webbing (doubled over) without issues, but when I make a box stitch and it's just 1" width of sewing, it seems to be knotting at the bottom or snagging (too tight presser foot?) at the top.   I don't want to increase the upper tension too tight either. 

I'm using a size 18 needle with Bonded Nylon #69 thread. 

Thanks for any help you can give. Big smile
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2016 at 8:43am
When you hit the corner of the 90 degree turn you should bury the needles, lift the presser foot and turn on the needle. Then drop the foot and continue sewing. Do the same when not turning but instead just going into reverse. If you follow this approach it should not be possible to get the knotting.

You should set tension according to what is needed to get a good stitch. I like to back the tension off until the knot shows up on the bottom of the webbing and then slowing increase it to the point that all knots are buried.

Presser foot tension should not matter that much. Set it so about 1/2" of threads are visible on the thumb knob shaft.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic