Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Boat Tops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Locked(Nearly) all-glass side window

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlandboatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (Nearly) all-glass side window
    Posted: 02 May 2009 at 8:23pm
I'd like to replace a side window panel which has only one-inch wide band of fabric all around it. The triangular panel zips to the top, zips to the side curtain aft, and snaps to the windshield frame.

Would 1" Sunbrella binding be OK for this? Or 2" facing folded in half to reinforce the snaps?

Looks like .030" glass.
jim grant View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 7:28am

Use the 2" facing.  It will be stronger and look much better!

Jim Grant
inlandboatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlandboatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 8:14am
Thank you, will do!
RumDiet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RumDiet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2009 at 2:30pm
I am patterning a new top and side curtains off of an old one.  The old windows have a 2.25 inch of sunbrella all around - looks like they folded a strip of 4.5" sunbrella, sewed that onto the plastic, and then ran seam binding all around. 

My questions are
1) should I use the sunbrella - or use 2 strips of 2" seam binding?

and

2) If I use the sunbrella, should I cut the strips on the bias?

3) if I use seam binding - it will be a raw edge unless I put 1/2" binding around the outside - thats 8 plys + the window material!  Yikes -
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2009 at 9:16am
1. Either Sunbrella cut into strips or the facing will work. I would get the 2" facing as it is premade and will speed the process.

2. Only cut on the bias if the edges are curved and you intend to bend the tape to follow the curves. The width of the strips is such that bending the material will not likely work anyway so I generally cut straight down the warp of the fabric (lengthwise strips). If you need to follow curves it is probably best just to cut darts into the facing and overlap or spread the darts as you make the curves.

3. 2" facing is hemmed along both edges.

Hope this helps. Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
RumDiet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RumDiet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2009 at 12:02pm
Thanks - the clarification re the bias cut was very helpful.

RumDiet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RumDiet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 2:53pm
A couple of more questions:

What is the best way to cut the plastic panels - hot knife, exacto knife or sissors?

I assume it is best to make a pattern first; use 6 mil plastic?

Thanks in advance

w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 3:35pm
Hi Rumdiet:

DON"T cut clear vinyl with a hot knife.  It will melt away from the cut, catch fire, put out a lot of probably PCB laden smoke and your wife or girlfriend won't talk to you anymore because of the smell!Cry

I generally cut the stuff with a good pair of sharp scissors.  I also use an x-acto knife to cut out "smiley flaps" after sewng in the zippers.

6 mil plastc is very light.  I normally use 30 mil for enclosures.  It is clearer and less prone to wrinkles and distortion, and it is still light enough to roll.

I hope hat this helps.

Best regards,
Dan Smith
Annapolis Sailrite Store Manager
RumDiet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RumDiet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 5:18pm
Thanks - I'll stay away from the hot knife.

I bought the 30 mil stratoglass like stuff for the windows - I was asking if I should use heavy weight plastic for a pattern. 

w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 5:22pm
Canvex patterning material (102561) is perfect and it is only $2.25 per yard.  Width is 81".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic