Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedNaugahyde Universal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Ward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Naugahyde Universal
    Posted: 14 December 2006 at 11:40am
What is the recomended thread and needle size to use for Naugahyde universal, and are there any tips when using an Ultrafeed machine equiped with the Monster balance wheel when sewing Naugahyde Universal.
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2006 at 12:35pm
Hi Barry:

Normally, I use V-69 with an 18 guage needle, but you can easily go down to V-46 with a 16 guage needle. 

The thread size is not as critical as getting the tension right.  Sew at the loosest possible tension that gives you a good stitch.  That will minimize needle pucker causing the fabric to bunch up.  I also find it useful to move the belt out of the way and hand crank the machine when I'm working around tight corners and the need for accuracy is absolute.  Lastly, consider buying a leather foot for your machine when working with this kind of fabric.  That way, you don't leave "tank tracks" on the naugahyde.  The part number is 0183 for the LS-1 and 0184 for the LSZ-1.

Best regards,
Dan Smith
Annapolis Store Manager
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic