Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedMylar Sail Modification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ynot Sailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mylar Sail Modification
    Posted: 14 October 2010 at 9:21am
One of my friends wants to convert a hanked mylar genoa to roller furling.
Is this a feasible conversion?
Are there any drawbacks?
Thanks
Tony
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 10:27am
Hi Tony:

If it were my boat, I would be somewhat concerned about the sail's additional exposure to UV.  Sunbrella or insignia strips on the leach and foot would fix this, but at the expense of the aerodynamics of the sail.  The solution would be to build a sock to enclose it, but that seems about as much trouble as bagging the sail and stowing it.  Still, if stowage below is at apremium, this idea might be viable.

Best regards,
Dan Smith
Annapolis Sailrite Store Manager
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 1:49pm
It sure it feasible. But I agree with Dan that you will need to either build a sacrificial cover onto the foot and leech edges of the sail or make a sock to protect the sail when it is rolled. Sailrite offers luff tape conversion kits and kits for either method of providing UV protection.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Ynot Sailing View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ynot Sailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 6:55pm
Thanks Dan and Matt.
What thread and needle combination would you recommend. I'll be using the LSZ1
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 6:59pm
Hi Tony:

You should be okay with V-92 thread and 20 Gauge round point needles (7010).  If you run into problems with the sailcloth grabbing the upper thread creating huge loops on the bottom, switch to a #22 SD1 needle (100806).

Best regards,
Dan
Indy View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2010 at 5:33pm
I bought a boat with a mylar head sail and it was roller furling.  Definitely use sacrificial cloth ours did not have it and we HAD to add it. We used NASCAR cloth from Sailrite it is light weight and easy to use. However it is only available in white. Worked great.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic