Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Sailrite Sewing Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Makrolon AR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Makrolon AR
    Posted: 09 February 2012 at 12:00pm
Will the LSZ-1 sew Makrolon window material?  I am starting to plan out my new dodger and Makrolon is really appealing.

Russell View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2012 at 12:38pm
If it helps, the stuff is .060 gauge, so a tad thicker then typical strataglass and I would want to use tenra thread.  Its basicly really thin lexan with an abrasion resistant coating on it.  I know industrial machines in canvas shops can sew the stuff, but concerned it might be a tad too much for the sailrite, but the stuff isnt cheap and I would hate to buy it only to find the machine cant do it.  Surely someone has tried it.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2012 at 1:48pm
Sorry, I missed this one. Yes I know what that product is and have other customers sewing it. But it take arm space. This is one that really merits the Sailrite Big-N-Tall sewing machine. Also a leather needle should be used and typically Tenara thread is used on the exposed side and Polyester on the inside. Not sure whay this is the case but I assume it is the combination that has been proven to work. All this information is what I have learned from customers. I personally have no experience with the stuff :)
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Russell View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2012 at 3:28pm
Thanks Matt, so long as I know someone has managed to sew it successfully before then I will order it.  They come only in 4x8 sheets so I will have a ton extra to experiment on a lot before doing the actual dodger.  You are right that Big & Tall would be nice, since the material doesnt roll up, I will just have to plan out the dodger construction carefully to make sure i dont end up not being able to reach a spot.  Thanks for the tip on polyester on inside and tenara out, I wouldnt have even thought of trying that.  Typically they recommend 134 thread with a 23 needle for sewing makrolon, so I am hoping heavy tenara and a 20 needle will work on the ultrafeed.
Isabella8688 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isabella8688 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2012 at 3:13am
Originally posted by Russell Russell wrote:

Thanks Matt, so long as I know someone has managed to sew it successfully before then I will order it.  They come only in 4x8 sheets so I will have a ton extra to experiment on a lot before doing the actual dodger.  You are right that Big & Tall would be nice, since the material doesnt roll up, I will just have to plan out the dodger construction carefully to make sure i dont end up not being able to reach a spot.  Thanks for the tip on polyester on inside and tenara out, I wouldnt have even thought of trying that.  Typically they recommend 134 thread with a 23 needle for sewing makrolon, so I am hoping heavy tenara and a 20 needle will work on the ultrafeed.

I also think so.
http://besthosteds.com/watch-john-carter-online-free/ - Watch John Carter Online Free</a>
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2012 at 7:42am
Let us know how it goes :)
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
leftcoastsailor View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leftcoastsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 11:39pm
Russell,

Hello.  I have been researching using Makralon .060 AR2.  Abrasion Resistant 2 sides and came across your post.  Were you successful in using Makralon.  I like the very clear window like characteristics of this Lexan type polycarbonite.  I'm looking to replace 5 former Barrett Bonded windows all are zipper drops.  Polycarbonite is as close to glass aside from Barrett Bonded windows.  See my post I posted today under topic Sewing 60mm polycarbonite windows.

Many thanks,

John
Left Coast Sailor
rgesner View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgesner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 12:24am
North sails says "5200 Fast Cure seam appeared to be as strong as the 29,000-denier Spectra fabric itself and stronger than any seams built in a sail loft." http://www.cruisingworld.com/how-to/projects/magic-goo-to-the-rescue

I would consider sewing the fabric and zippers, seaming finished edges for the openings, but then using 5200 to attach the Makrolon to the fabric.
Russell View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2013 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by leftcoastsailor leftcoastsailor wrote:

Russell,

Hello.  I have been researching using Makralon .060 AR2.  Abrasion Resistant 2 sides and came across your post.  Were you successful in using Makralon.  I like the very clear window like characteristics of this Lexan type polycarbonite.  I'm looking to replace 5 former Barrett Bonded windows all are zipper drops.  Polycarbonite is as close to glass aside from Barrett Bonded windows.  See my post I posted today under topic Sewing 60mm polycarbonite windows.

Many thanks,

John

Yes, it works and came out well.  I am currently doing another one with makrolon polycarbonate, this time with Tenera thread...  it isnt working out so well.  Tenera being a bit prone to breaking anyway, pulling it through the polycarbonate seems to be too much to ask of it.  I am using the "light" Tenera, perhaps the heavy would work better, but I think that might be pushing the ultrafeed too far (the polycarbonate is at the very limit of what it can do).

Stick with v 92 UV polyester thread and a size 20 diamond point needle and it works like a charm.  Go SLOW and use your guide hand to hold down the polycarbonate close to the needle/foot, as it will have a tendancy to try to pull the sheet up when the needle backs out.  I have been able to do 8 layers of sunbrella on top of the makrolon AR this way with nice stitches.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 7:45am
Try V-92 in the bobbin and the Tenara on top (outside surface).
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic