Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedMaking a Pattern

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomh2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making a Pattern
    Posted: 04 January 2015 at 6:56pm
I am making dodger. I saw the Sailrite video and noticed a unique material they used for the pattern? What material is that?  What options are there for materials for making a pattern? 
Tom
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2015 at 8:50am
Hi Tom,
The material is called Dura Scrim. It is great stuff! The key is to get a material that has little stretch in any direction and is clear enough to see through for patterning. This stuff is the best in the market:

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2015 at 11:16am
The Dura Skrim looks like a very good option.

When I made the patterns for my enclosure I used the thickest clear poly sheeting available from the local home construction store.
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
tomh2 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomh2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2015 at 2:12pm
Thanks for the fast answer to the pattern question.
New question.

When I sew on a binder along the perimeter I see a binder attachment tool to help fold over the binder material. But some binder sold at Sailrite it already folded over. Would I still use a binder attachment with the pre-folded binder?
Tom
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2015 at 2:15pm
The edges of the binding are folded under to prevent raw edges. But this has nothing to do with folding the binding over the raw fabric edge to cap and protect the edge. In other words, you do use the binding that we offer in the binder attachments.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2015 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by tomh2 tomh2 wrote:

When I sew on a binder along the perimeter I see a binder attachment tool to help fold over the binder material. But some binder sold at Sailrite it already folded over. Would I still use a binder attachment with the pre-folded binder?
  This 1" Binding Tape Maker is used to create your own binding tape, instead of using the multitude of available tapes.
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic