Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedMain Sail Bag - Planning stage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbernard7261@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Main Sail Bag - Planning stage
    Posted: 21 June 2015 at 11:54am
I sail on a Carrera 290  and our owner wants a "main bag" for his main sail which is Kevlar/Mylar.  We use this main for fun and low key racing.  The Technora main is used for the big events.  I liked the kevlar main until we raced the technora now I want to burn the kevlar.

My thoughts are a bag the length of the main (E is 13.12' - the replacement main, the kevlar is getting kind of ratty,  may have full length battens).  The Technora bag is for a rolled main and this bag would be a flaked bag so here is my thoughts -

1- bag length - 13.12'  ??  I kind of question this length?  Maybe the bength of the longest full length batten????  Replacement sail may be pentax.

2-Bag material 2/3 fabric or some king - whats best???
                       1/3 a screen like fabric so that the sail can drain water and vent.  What is best?????

3-Full length zipper - (break-a-way)

4-bag sized diameter for a flaked sail. 

Anyone have thoughts??????
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2015 at 8:39am
Sailrite's comments:

1. size just depends upon how many folds you are ok with. It certainly needs to be the longest batten length plus a few inches at a minimum.
2. SurLast for the body and Phifertex for the mesh.
3. Use a #10 Continuous zipper to construct the break away zipper. Are you sure you need a breakaway for the main? I would only use this approach if the bag must be opened super quick.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Sue2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2015 at 8:15am
I have made several "long" bags for Hobie Cats and Sunfish, both of which are stored with the booms (and the Hobies have battens), so they had to be full length.  I've tried two approaches, both of which have merits.

The Hobie bags I made  with the zipper running about 80% of the upper edge and down one short end.  I used a 10 ft zipper for a 12 ft bag.  The short "pocket" on one end allows you to shove the end of the rolled/flaked sail in there, and it doesn't tend to fall out while you are gathering up the rest.  This worked well with the beach cats which were bagged on the boat tramp and you didn't want it sliding out into possibly wet or sandy surroundings.  I used separating zippers on these, but realized later that I did not need to - #10 continuous would work fine, as Matt suggests.

For the Sunfish I used a different approach.  On these, I typically remove the whole sail/spar assembly and carry it to the boat, so the sail bag is designed to open completely into a flat mat.  Since zipping a 14 ft long zipper is tedious, I used two sliders, one on either end.  This way I can zip from whatever end I am on, or from both ends.  I'm not sure how necessary this is, but is can be convenient.  If the "end pocket" design of the Hobie Cat sailbag is desired, just partially zip up one end.

As for the size, it would be best to flake your sail without taking much care in doing so, and measure the length and loosely around the circumference.  (Catching the sail in the zipper is really annoying.) Make it larger rather than "custom fit."  A slightly roomier bag is so much easier to load, plus it dries better if put away damp.

Hope this helps!
-Sue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic