Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Sailrite Sewing Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LZ-1 Bobbin/Thread/Needle issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LZ-1 Bobbin/Thread/Needle issue
    Posted: 07 September 2018 at 12:50pm
I've seen several posts/questions regarding the issue I'm having. Yet, my SailRite guides are on the boat and I'm ashore currently. So, I apologize in advance for repetition.

Broke a needle yesterday. Replaced with a size 20 that came with my LZ-1 machine. Won't pick up the bobbin thread. If I adjust the needle down slightly, it does pick up the bobbin thread. However, the machine skips stitches and the bottom thread is all kinds of crazy loopy. 

I've adjusted the bobbin tension, the top thread tension, and foot tension. Got things working, then as soon as I slid my project in place - nope! Back to the loopy loop stitch skipping happy happy joyness.

What can I do to adjust for these issues? I need to finish a project and was almost finished when the needle broke. Murphy's Law!

Thanks in advance for help, advice, suggestions, etc.
Laura Ann
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2018 at 1:25pm
Hi Laura Ann,

The very best thing to do is to start a support case at this link https://www.sailrite.com/support

In the meantime I would suggest checking the driver rotation to see if it slipped counterclockwise. I would also make sure the cap spring is not burred. Both issues are covered well in the guidebook.

Finally make sure the needle is in so the flat area just above the eye of the needle faces to the right as the needle is installed.

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
SaltyWolf View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2018 at 2:33pm
Thanks, Matt. I have ensured the needle is facing the proper direction. 

I'm leaning towards the drive rotation being the culprit. However, I'm really hoping it isn't :)

I'll get a support case started, and in the meantime how would I check the cap spring for burrs? 
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2018 at 2:41pm
Driver rotation is not too bad to set. Send a photo of the position to mattb@sailrite.com after starting the support case and before making an adjustment for his comment on if it slipped.

The cap spring is the curved metal plate on the top of the retaining ring that the needle goes through right beneath the needle plate. Please make sure it has clean edges and the needle has not struck it leaving a rough edge. If the edge is rough it can be polished with emery paper and that generally works.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
SaltyWolf View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2018 at 3:56pm
Looks like the cap spring has been struck. Definitely has a burr.

Took a picture of the cap spring. The gib hook also appears to have a burr. Mutter, mutter.

For drive position, picture of underside or by wheel?
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2018 at 4:47pm
Polish those out and try again.

photo from the underside looking right at the hook like figure 45 on page 43 of guidebook.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic